An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin

Monday, March 21, 2011

Genre: Literary Fiction
Rating: 2 stars
Review: This book was just okay. As a person who likes art but know nothing about its technicality, history, etc, I appreciate this book for its effort to teach me a bit about art and artists without becoming preachy or sounding like a know-it-all. However, at the end of the day, this is a novel and as a work of fiction, it just fell a little flat for me. It's undeniable that it's an interesting read, but while reading this, I already knew something was missing for me. The characters were dry - no personality, no development, no pull. The plot was a bit elementary, unfortunately, and the pace was far too slow for my taste.

I like Steve Martin as a writer actually, so I would probably recommend his other books if you like his style, but this one unfortunately did not do it for me.

3 comments:

  1. Good to know! I have a feeling I wouldn't dig it either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it fell flat. I didnt know Steve Martin was a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juju - Have you read any of his other books as well?

    naida - Yes. He's a screenwriter as well for some of his movies I believe. He has a unique style of writing and has a unique sense of humor to them, but they're definitely not for everyone!

    ReplyDelete