Book Recommendation of the Week

Friday, December 2, 2011

I haven't done one of these 'book recommendations of the week' in a while, so I thought I should. And to be honest, with all the books I've specifically recommended before, I am not sure why I have never suggested Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, when it actually may be one of my favorites!


Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Genre: Science Fiction
When I Read It: 2010
Initial Impression: I used to be not into science fiction as much for some odd reason. It's not like I didn't like the genre, because I obviously enjoyed sci-fi movies and shows. Unfortunately, as far as books go, I have just never found a read that I enjoyed. So, when I picked this up, mainly because of countless suggestions from guy friends (including my brother) I was a bit skeptical.

What I Thought: I LOVED IT.

Why I Loved It: It had everything I would want in a sci-fi/adventure/fantasy type of novel. It was intriguing and interesting, engaging and exciting. I had a hard time putting it down, and I was just so into the entire story and the entire world the author created. Also, I absolutely adored the main characters. And for such a character-driven story, that part was crucial. To me, I was completely immersed in what was going on. Simply put, it's an entertaining story, and it's told perfectly.

Who Should Read It: To be honest, I think everyone should pick this one up and try it out. It's one of those books that can be good for everyone. It doesn't really matter what type of reader you are - and how old or how young you are - it's still going to be a good story at the end of the day.


10 comments:

  1. This is on my MUST read list. Great review. So glad you dug it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just picked this book up. Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I am quite interested in SF, I find it sometimes hard to get into the futuristic world. I think I picked this one up at some point and stopped after 3 pages. I guess I have to try a bit harder, considering all the raving reviews :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of a lot of people who aren't particularly into reading science fiction but have loved this. I am definitely going to have to give it a go. It's been on my tr list for a long time and it is a genre I used to love. I joined a science fiction challenge next year and this is definitely going to be one of my choices. Thanks for the reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book so much! It taught me that sci-fi isn't awful and some books just defy genres.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is on my TBR list for a while. I borrowed it, but returned it without reading because I wasn't in the mood. Need to try again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dad reads a lot of science fiction novels. I've thought about reading one. Maybe I'll try to read this one sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must read this one, it's always been on my TBR.
    Do you still do your Top Ten Picks meme?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember hating sci-fi until I read this book. EG is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to read this but have been putting it off because OSC is just such a horrible person and I can't get past my bias against him.

    ReplyDelete