If you've been a follower of this blog for a while, you'd know by now that I have always been anti-ereader for a few reasons. However, I feel like as I got older and life and schedules got busier, I haven't had time to go to bookstores anymore. In addition to that, there's sadly a lack of bookstores around my area. Because of those circumstances, I caved, and I got a Kindle. I got it for a good deal off of Amazon during a Black Friday sale, and two weeks later, I have fallen in love with it.
Admittedly, I felt like I betrayed physical copies as I finally bought an e-reader, but over the past two weeks of consistently (almost daily) using it, I couldn't help but enjoy my time reading with it. I've been obsessed with it that I've already finished three and a half books with it. Here's just a few reasons why I love my new Kindle Paperwhite.
- I love the fact that there are thousands of books right on your fingertips. If I ever get the antsy feeling of wanting a book badly (which I do often) I can simply purchase it right then and there. I'll have it immediately, and don't have to wait until my next day off until I could drive to the nearest bookstore.
- Prices. They're usually always cheaper than retail price, and there's always amazing e-book deals. I got a lot of the books I have on there right now for $3.99, $8 at the most.
- It feels like a book. Sure, maybe not out of the box, but once I put on the case I got for it (that basically flips like a vintage book), it feels like an actual book.
- The screen legitimately looks like a page. I didn't know this before, but the screen is very different from a typical tablet screen or a smart phone screen. It's not glossy, it feels and looks more like an etch-a-sketch to me. The texture is a bit different too, which I think is what prevents the glare. This also makes it easier on the eyes. I've tried reading on an iPad and I just got headaches, but I never get that from the Kindle.
- Portability. I can bring it anywhere. Literally. It fits in my medium-sized purse easily. I bring it to work so I can read during my break. I can't wait when I have to travel so I can test it out then.
So while I will always love going to bookstores, purchase books I really love from time to time, and prefer physical copies for my growing home library, there's definitely room for an e-reader. If you are thinking about it because you like the idea of its convenience, I highly recommend it.