So I got a Kindle...

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

If you've been a follower of this blog for a while, you'd know by now that I have always been anti-ereader for a few reasons. However, I feel like as I got older and life and schedules got busier, I haven't had time to go to bookstores anymore. In addition to that, there's sadly a lack of bookstores around my area. Because of those circumstances, I caved, and I got a Kindle. I got it for a good deal off of Amazon during a Black Friday sale, and two weeks later, I have fallen in love with it. 
Admittedly, I felt like I betrayed physical copies as I finally bought an e-reader, but over the past two weeks of consistently (almost daily) using it, I couldn't help but enjoy my time reading with it. I've been obsessed with it that I've already finished three and a half books with it. Here's just a few reasons why I love my new Kindle Paperwhite.

  • I love the fact that there are thousands of books right on your fingertips. If I ever get the antsy feeling of wanting a book badly (which I do often) I can simply purchase it right then and there. I'll have it immediately, and don't have to wait until my next day off until I could drive to the nearest bookstore. 
  • Prices. They're usually always cheaper than retail price, and there's always amazing e-book deals. I got a lot of the books I have on there right now for $3.99, $8 at the most. 
  • It feels like a book. Sure, maybe not out of the box, but once I put on the case I got for it (that basically flips like a vintage book), it feels like an actual book. 
  • The screen legitimately looks like a page. I didn't know this before, but the screen is very different from a typical tablet screen or a smart phone screen. It's not glossy, it feels and looks more like an etch-a-sketch to me. The texture is a bit different too, which I think is what prevents the glare. This also makes it easier on the eyes. I've tried reading on an iPad and I just got headaches, but I never get that from the Kindle. 
  • Portability. I can bring it anywhere. Literally. It fits in my medium-sized purse easily. I bring it to work so I can read during my break. I can't wait when I have to travel so I can test it out then.
So while I will always love going to bookstores, purchase books I really love from time to time, and prefer physical copies for my growing home library, there's definitely room for an e-reader. If you are thinking about it because you like the idea of its convenience, I highly recommend it.

9 comments:

  1. I've had a kindle for years now and at first I loved it, but I find that I go through phases with it. At the moment, all I want to read is physical books, but I'm sure I will have a kindle phase sooner or later. Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that from others as well. I guess it's just all about balance.

      Delete
  2. I was hesitant about Kindles before I got my first one, which was over 4 years ago now. I upgraded to the Paperwhite last year, and love it. The convenience and ability to multi-task with it has proven it's worth. I definitely feel like I read a lot more with it, than I ever did before. I'm glad you decided to give it a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I gave it a chance too! I'm so happy people gave me positive feedback, it's what pushed me to get it ultimately.

      Delete
  3. I was an early international reader of the Kindle and just last month got a new Kindle Paperwhite and love it. I still love the physical book and will never give up buying them or reading them, but the Kindle is so good for all your reasons given. I could never bother to read a book on my iPad - too much glare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about the ipad, very different from the kindle indeed.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could get along with reading on a Kindle, the idea of having so many stories on such a little thing is very appealing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post! I was exactly the same when I got my e-reader. At first I was anti-ereader and then I learned about review copies and everywhere were books that were only in e-format and then I caved an got an e-reader and now I love it! I alos have a e-ink screen and I love how much it reads like a real book. My eyes hurt when I read on my ipad or computer screen for too long, but I don't have that problem with my e-reader.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a Kindle for Christmas and I agree with all the points made. Don't even know how I survived without one before! I still love physical books just as much but a Kindle is just as perfect.

    ReplyDelete