Quick Reviews # 5

Saturday, February 13, 2010


For quick reviews, I simply give my general view and opinion on the books included. If you are interested on reading more about the plot of these novels, simply click on the titles and it will lead you to a website (Amazon.com, usually) and the synopsis can be found there.


Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters
  • I still do think it was not as funny as they hype it up to be. I have to admit though, it is a lot better than the first effort in Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Recommended only if you like these type of humor. But if I really had to be honest, I think there are a lot other books that serve the same purpose, but are better than this one.
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
  • Anything written by Neil Gaiman is expected to deliver, and fortunately, this one did not disappoint. Obviously, though I am not exactly in the age bracket of who Gaiman wrote this for, I still have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • I have to agree with other people's opinions that, though this is meant for children, it might be a bit too dark for them. However, the decision whether or not read it depends entirely on them. If they are able to handle darker elements in literature, then go for it. Also, I suggest that the parents who are reading this review, to check this book out and read it for themselves if you are debating whether or not to let your child read it.
  • Despite these aspects, I really think it's a very good book. The story will definitely entertain, and maybe even teach a few subtle (but useful) lessons that is appropriate for any reader of any age. With a flawed but extremely likable protagonist, I don't see how this novel will not hook you right in Neil Gaiman's world.
Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindgvist
  • I don't know if this is a "good vampire book", but it is definitely different (and much better) than all the other ones published and famous right now. And that's what I love, love, love about this book. I liked the fact that it tells such a unique story of two unique characters; their lost innocence, growth, everything. The two distinct voices can not be mistaken. You know who's talking, and you feel for what they feel.
  • This book is 1) definitely out of the norm, 2) not for the squeamish. Overall, this is a highly recommended novel. Please, please SKIP Twilight and read this instead.
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
  • My experience with this book is similar to when I make tea. It takes a while for the water from the tea kettle to boil, and I wait for it real patiently. Eventually, it does boil of course, and after that, I can get going to prepare my drink. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao is similar simply because the beginning was very slow. It took time for it to get to the actual story line and plot, and I have to admit, almost gave up on it because of that. However, I stayed through it, and it did turn out after all. Unfortunately, it sort of went down hill all throughout. The constant back and forth of past and present became a bit confusing, and even the constant shuffle of the (sort of uninteresting) characters got frustrating. I mean I didn't think it was a bad book, but I'm not sure if I would recommend this one.
  • To sum it all up, reading this book is similar to making and drinking tea. A bland one at that, unfortunately.
The Keepsake by Kirsty Gunn
  • I didn't think this book was horrible, but I do not recommend this at all. The only good things I can say are 1) the plot is intriguing, and 2) the writing is full of poetic prose and good narratives. But often times, even the best poetic prose and narratives become too much for the reader when the author uses it all throughout, without going anywhere. I kept asking myself, "What is the story exactly?" and "What is the point?" The situations were so vague, and even the main characters were so unclear that I wasn't sure what to make of them. Even until the ending, I was just left completely confused. The story didn't make sense, and truthfully, it actually seemed like nothing happened at all. No progress, no development, no improvement, no nothing. Having said all these, I suggest you skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment