Book/T.V. Show Recommendation!

Saturday, April 28, 2012

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but I have been watching the show, The Game of Thrones, for a while now. I have to say, I am getting a little obsessed with it.


To be honest with you guys, before HBO made this epic fantasy-ish show, I didn't know that it was just an adaptation of a very popular book series, which I know is a shame. I only started reading the books when I found that out. That being said, I read the first book and managed to finish it in two days. I loved it. I was surprised at how easily I fell for the characters. They're believable; as the author, George R.R. Martin, really knows how to paint them in such a realistic way. I especially love the fact that this series has many strong female characters. For a fantasy/medieval power story, this is definitely a big deal!
Most especially though, he sure knows how to tell a story in an incredibly engaging way. It is such a complex story though that I don't think I will write a proper review for them because it will be hard to do so without spoiling it.

So, I'm just going to go ahead and say that yes, you MUST read the books. They are so well written, the characters are awesome, and the combination of many different types of genres is just pure entertainment to me. And yay for strong female characters ;)
As far as the show goes, I love it. I believe that it is good to be watched on its own, whether or not you have read - or planning to read - the books. I think it tells the story well, and the actors do a very, very good job portraying such badass characters.


16 comments:

  1. Ok, this might be the last push I need. I've been on the fence about reading these books. I'm incredibly interested, but they're massive and I wanted to be sure I'd like them before I started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're really good. I would recommend YOU to read it especially, Melissa. I think you'd like them. If not, you can always just forget about them ;)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad that you enjoy the books so much!

    I've got an award for you on my blog :)

    http://www.theliterarylioness.com/2012/04/ive-won-sunshine-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. These books are far to long to take the plunge but glad you enjoyed. Your not alone I didn't realise they were books but I found out approx the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love this genre and these types of books so I must admit it was a little embarrassing that I have never heard of this series until the show. But yeah, it is a bit of an intimidating set of books. I too was scared to read them because they're so long

      Delete
  4. I've been meaning to get to the books for ages, but they scare me because they are so bulky.:) I will get to them eventually - I think they are just the kind I'd enjoy. I heard a lot of praise about the TV series, too, but I want to read at least a few of the books first. Thanks for the recommendation, now I'm even more convinced I have to read/watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared also because of how bulky they are. It's not an easy feat! Haha. But yes, check out the tv series. It's good on its own so I don't think it'll really affect your reading experience as much.

      Delete
  5. I've read the first three so far - need to get the later ones, but on the other hand, I like to know there's some left (published) that I haven't read, so I'm not just waiting for him to write the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah so true! The problem here though would be when you finish all the published ones! :/ Hopefully he finishes the series.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recommendations, I have seen this and wondered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good. If you like LOTR/medieval-ish stories, you'd like it!

      Delete
  7. I like this show too, it's incredibly popular right now in France. But I hadn't givent much thought about reading the books... you made me change my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books are a bit of a challenge to read because of how bulky it is, but it's worth it I think! :) The show is also very popular here in the US!

      Delete
  8. I've only watched two episodes of season 1. I started watching it because someone mentioned it on their blog. I like it but I still have to get into it more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Same here, I'm such a big fan of the show that I bought the first four books and am slowly reading through them. The books are so big...I don't think I've read anything that was over 1000 pages before now.

    ReplyDelete