Watchers by Dean Koontz

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Genre: Fiction - Thriller/Science Fiction/Semi-horror
Rating: 5 stars

What I Loved:
Dean Koontz is simply a master at story telling - he manages to excel in taking an original and highly interesting concept and building an effortless story around it, without it seeming overdone or contrived in any way. And he is excellent at building extremely likable and lovable characters that one can't help but root for. I for one, found myself involved with each character, and found myself loving certain ones. I don't think I have ever been this attached to an animal character, since watching the film, Homeward Bound. This made me want a Golden Retriever even more than I did before.
As for the pace, I thought it was great. The writing - flawless. It just flows perfectly - never a boring moment! At times, I just found it hard to put down since I was so engrossed. And believe me, I've lost a few hours of sleep over this! (That could be a bad thing, of course, especially if you have to wake up early in the morning)

What I Kind of Didn't Like:
I have to admit there were a few chapters here and there that I could have managed without. If the author (or perhaps his editor?) took out some random tidbits that I thought weren't really "necessary," the story would have been shorter and more straight- to-the-point. Don't get me wrong though; this wasn't really a deal breaker for me, and it didn't turn me off from the book in any way.

Overall: Despite the minor flaw - that I honestly think is just me nitpicking - I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed this book! If you are looking for a book that is entertaining, intriguing, exciting, fun, adventurous, scary, heart warming, and creepy all at the same time, read this. If you want excellent story telling with memorable characters, check this out.
I would recommend this to all readers - mostly fans of General Fiction, Mystery/Thriller, SciFi, and the like. Overall though, I think any reader would appreciate this.

9 comments:

  1. Obviously I've heard of Dean Koontz, but never read anything by him before. This sounds really good! Thanks for the heads up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang, I've been meaning to read this book for ages! I love animals so the fact that you mention you've never been so attached to an animal character really just makes me want to read this book all the more. Just must find time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    If I weren't so busy with other books, Jillian, I'd start reading more Dean Koontz immediately!

    I knew a woman in uni whose favourite writer was Koontz. She told me during an "ice-breaker" game in a small tutorial group; we were supposed to ask our partners certain questions and then use their answers to introduce them to the rest of the group. The woman asked me not to tell anyone else about that: she was worried he was too "low-brow" for a room of English majors. =/

    I hadn't read any Koontz at the time (though I'd remedy that later), but I wanted to assure her that popular Horror writers are often really dang good and that liking their books is nothing to be ashamed of. Seriously, one of the best novels I read last year was Stephen King's Christine: the only book I can remember that made me wish I knew the characters in real life and sad because I'd never know what would happen to them next.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5 star, definitely will read this one for sure. He is a master story teller, I agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read anything by Dean Koontz. I know he has written lots of books so maybe one day I will pick one up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim - If you start, you should start with this - everybody told me to start with Watchers! :)

    Aylee - Yes, it's really good! I think you'll like it.

    E - I still haven't read Christine! I know I should have a while ago too, ever since you told me to read them. I'm just sometimes so bad at remembering books I need to read. Haha. Anyway, I hope you do have time to read this sometime soon!

    Marce - I highly recommend it especially if you do like Koontz!

    Jenny - If you ever do, you should read this one! It'll get you addicted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed it! He's a favorite author of mine, but I havent read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven’t read Koontz in forever & honestly can’t remember if I’ve read this. I devoured so many of his book when I was pregnant & on bedrest in ’05 LOL After that I was burnt out with his writing style. Might have to give him another try now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. naida - Which one is your favorite from him?

    Christie - I heard that his style gets repetitive, so that's why I am only picking the ones that have the highest rating and reviews!

    ReplyDelete