Other Words for Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Genre: Young Adult - contemporary
Rating: 5 stars

Review: This was a great read. It's one of those rare books that seem to mirror real life situations perfectly - no matter how young or old the person going through it is. It talks about first love, heart break, disappointment, failures and triumphs, friendships, and individuality...among many others. And even though this book features a teenager as the main character, I do think everybody can somehow relate to her story, her world, and what she's gone through.

Sure, there were some factors in the story that weren't as realistic - like getting an unexpected inheritance that lets the character transfer to an elite Manhattan prep school and going to 21+ clubs and not getting checked for their ID.
But despite these minor details, I thought the ones that truly mattered - like the characters and their emotions and their actions - were extremely believable. I thought the overall plot and character development, as well as its conclusion, seemed very real as well, and did not seem contrived at all.

So yes, I do recommend this, mostly to mature YA readers (definitely pg13!)

As a whole, I just found it lovely and understated. It's not "spectacular" by any means, but it's a good read. Hey, it may even take you back to past memories and remind you of some things you may have already forgotten. Perhaps it may even shine a light on some things happening in your life right now! At the end of the day, it's just a simple coming-of-age story, and is identifiable in many ways. That I think is the book's greatest strength.

8 comments:

  1. Been wanting to read this for a while but saw mixed reviews. This review gives me hope that I will like it as much as I initially thought I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It's a favorite of mine this year :) The characters were really well written and I really enjoyed the story. Don't know why this one got so many mixed reviews.

    http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this cover and I think there is a certain charm in telling a story with all the craziness going on. Simple can be good. I enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YA Book Lover - I would highly recommend this for any contemporary YA readers - if you end up not liking it, oh well, but if you end up DO liking it, then you've discovered something good :)

    Khadija - I don't get the mixed reviews either, but hey, to each his own, right? ;) I'm glad you liked it though! Oh and thanks for visiting my blog!

    Alexis - I like the cover too! I think it's lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I don't read enough contemporary and you made this one sound so great making me want to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - If you're not really into contemporary but would like to try some, I highly recommend Before I Fall, Willow, and the Book Thief as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm big on my contemps and I've had my eye on this a while, so I deffo need to give it a go. Fab review missy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aly - This one's a cute one for sure. I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete