Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Rating: 2.5 stars
Review: This is a cute story. It's perfectly readable, is fast-paced, and is entertaining. However, this book screams cliche for me, sadly. Stereotypical characters, cliche dialogues, overly contrived scenarios... unfortunately. As a whole, this book just didn't seem believable to me. I get it's a fictional story, but I believe good fiction should deliver a realistic-enough story that readers would really believe it can be their own version of reality. This is just my opinion though.

That being said, Lola and the Boy Next Door was a light, fun read. Entertaining enough. I didn't hate it. It just did not 'speak' to me. It didn't have the same charm Anna and the French Kiss had. In fact, I found it a bit corny, and not exactly in a good way. I also found the main protagonist, Lola, somewhat annoying and somewhat pretentious. The male lead was not 'lovable' either, and I didn't particularly find anyone else likable as well.

I would still recommend this, mostly to fans of Anna and the French Kiss. For me, though it was light-hearted and fun, I was disappointed.

12 comments:

  1. I was a little disappointed with this one too, but it was still a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read a few reviews that have said the same thing. I'll let you know what I think after I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, gosh. I sadly disagree with you. I absolutely LOVED Lola. Cricket and St. Clair are still battling out for which boy I liked better. I thought Cricket was sweet and charming. He was kind and really wanted to let Lola figure things out for herself. I'm not at all like Lola with crazy outfits, but I had friends who were, so I guess I related to her character more because it *was* realistic in some ways for me. I'm sad you didn't like it. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Magan! Thanks for reading. I just discovered your blog, which is cool :)
      Anyway, yeah, I was sad myself. I really liked Anna and the French Kiss, and though I didn't hate this book, I was a bit disappointed.

      It just didn't speak to me personally, I guess, as I know almost everyone loved this book!

      Delete
  4. I have to say I totally disagree with you. The dialogue, the realism, are all reasons why I think Stephanie Perkins stands out amongst a lot of crappy young adult novels. She is very detail-oriented and great at character development. I very much related to Lola's situation in this book, and I thought that Cricket was such a stand-up character as a male lead. I read through this so quickly and immediately wanted to read it again because I felt like I connected with the characters in such an intimate way. I may not be a crazy dresser like Lola or as bold as she is, but it was her feelings, and her relationship with her family, and problems with her boyfriends that I totally understand. Lola is authentic young adult fiction to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Estelle! I can definitely see the appeal of Lola, and that someone (actually most) have to disagree with my opinion on this book. I don't deny that Stephanie Perkins is a relate-able writer, as I saw that on her first novel. I absolutely am a fan of Anna and the French Kiss.

      It was just the connection that was missing for me, personally. I'd like to think it's what's sometimes fun about reading - that books aren't just one-sided all the time. Some may totally love it, some may not. Some may get the story, others may not. As always, I like hearing other people's opinions, whether or not they agree with me =]

      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  5. Super interesting. You said about Lola what I said about Anna :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, I loved Anna, but I can definitely see why you didn't really like her as much. Did you like Cricket and/or St. Claire?

      Delete
  6. Too bad it was dissapointing, it does look cute. The girl on the cover reminds me of Katy Perry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, too bad. I guess it's a fine line between being cute and whimsical and just downright corny. I'm still curious to find out for myself whether I'll like it though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It wasn't one of my favorites either.. in fact I can say that I didn't quite likes it. Too bad, as I liked the first one, but maybe Isla will be better :)

    Happy midnight reading!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read either Anna or Lola but have heard so much praise and rave over the two books. Sorry you didn't like it more but I'll probably still give this a try one of these days.

    ReplyDelete