Book Recommendation: Gone Girl

Monday, January 26, 2015

Sometimes, in order to find out if I truly enjoyed a book, I usually have these three aspects to use as my basis for judgment:  
  1. how my experience was while I was reading the book
  2. how I feel right after I've finished it and if I am able to rave about it
  3. If I still every now and then, months after finishing, think about it and remember how good of a read it was

My experience with Gone Girl would be a perfect example of a time when I used those aspects to judge a book. See, when I picked up Gone Girl a few months ago, I didn't know much about it. I only knew that it was about a missing person, and that there was going to be a movie adaptation. Naturally, I ran out and bought the book to see what the fuss was all about. 
Well, I finished it in two days. 


Without spoiling anything, let me just say that everything about this book was great - the writing, the plot, the characters, their development, its pace. However, its greatest strength is definitely its unpredictability. To say that it was unexpected and shocking is a bit of an understatement.

I remember reading this late at night after an exhausting, long day at work, not being able to sleep. All I wanted to do was read more, read faster. I was desperate to find out what was going to happen next. It was such a suspenseful page turner, and I couldn't put the book down. Every few chapters or so though, I did find myself closing the book for a second and thinking to myself, "What the heck am I reading?" At times, it even creeped me out, disturbed me, and gave me goosebumps. I remember thinking twice about going downstairs by myself in the dark late at night. Weirdly enough, it was a sure sign that I was completely immersed and believing its story. 

Overall, Gone Girl was engaging, thrilling, and exciting - worthy of the 5 star rating I gave it for sure. If you haven't picked this up yet, give it a try. It's not for everyone, but if you enjoy a thrilling mystery with interesting, believable, and intriguing characters, go for it. 
I would also recommend seeing the movie adaptation as I thought it was pretty brilliant as well. It's out on DVD so you have no excuse, readers! :)

Buy Gone Girlhere


2 comments:

  1. Those criteria would definitely be mine as well for figuring out how much I enjoyed a book! Still need to read this even though it's been recommended to me many times and I must be the only one left who hasn't read it yet. I'll have to get to it soon because I'm in a mood for a read that's really going to draw me in! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I definitely recommend it! I think that even if you end up not liking it, you can at least appreciate why people are talking about it so much.

      Delete