Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Genre: Fiction - science/fantasy, thriller
Rating: 5 stars

Review: Growing up, I was surrounded by dinosaurs. Dinosaur books, toys, figurines, inflatables, computer themed games... mainly because my brother was a huge dinosaur 'enthusiast'. He was only 5-6 or so and he had every single dinosaur name embedded in his head - literally every dinosaur from A-Z. So it was a given that I became somehow interested in them too. When I first saw the film adaptation of this novel as a kid, I was half terrified and half in love.

Years later, I finally managed to read the book by Michael Crichton. I have no idea why I waited this long, but I got to say my first reaction after finishing it was - WOW. It was awesome, awesome, awesome. And yes, better than the movie!

As a reader, I was so excited and entertained that I did not - would not - put the book down. I'd be up late at night reading this one, and couldn't stop.
As a reviewer, it was a dream for me to read. The story line was highly original; as original as any plot line can be. The story had a great mixture of science, action, drama, and adventure and I absolutely loved all these aspects equally. The writing - superb. The only thing that I can think of that might turn other readers off, even though I actually enjoyed those parts, were the detailed explanations of scientific and genetic technology.

Another great thing I loved is that even though we all know the story here is 100% impossible, it didn't seem like a nutcase, if that makes sense. It was still actually believable. That I have to say, is fiction at its best. The author, Crichton, has created a story that have lasted through the years since its publication, and that I believe will continue to astonish future readers as well. Having said that, I highly recommend this novel - definitely one of the best books I have ever read.

17 comments:

  1. I read this ages ago. I agree it is believable despite of being completely made up. I loved it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    I'm so glad to hear you liked it because I've been wanting to read it for the longest time as well. (And like you, I have no idea why I'm still waiting!)

    The movie was great--still watchable after all these years--and I think I've established enough distance from it to find the book sufficiently fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pepca - Have you read The Lost World? I am running to the library tomorrow and borrowing it! Haha.

    E - I think we're just lagging on it because we feel like we don't have to read it since we already saw the movie adaptation of it and it was great enough. Haha. But yes, read it! I think even if you like it or not you'd still appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I love Jurassic Park - book, and movie - and I'm so happy that you enjoyed it too! I need to get my hands on The Lost World ASAP.

    I wish there were more books about dinosaurs. I can't find very many!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the movie when I was younger, I never read the book. I didn't even know that there was a book. Thanx for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I'd read this book! I probably still should...I remember being terrified of the film haha fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo, Jurassic Park. I'm getting vicarious bookwormy shivers-- Jurrassic Park is out of this world good, isn't it. I'm so excited that you are excited about it. Koontz's Watchers was my first real sciencey DNA thriller back in the 80s and I was so hooked and craving more--- And I still remember going to the Walmart in my college town after class and discovering a paperback Jurassic Park-- and just knowing that it was going to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber Griffiths - I can't wait to get my hands on The Lost World! And yeah, there aren't a lot of fiction novels about dinosaurs now that I think about it.

    Nina - Yes I absolutely loved the movie. I have always known it was based on a book, but have never thought of actually reading it for some odd reason.

    Melissa - You should :) It's never too late after all! I think whether a reader likes it or not, one would still be able to appreciate it for what it is.

    Lesa - I have never heard of Watchers, but have just read the synopsis for it. I think I will borrow it from the library when I get the chance, hopefully this week. I am really getting into the whole sciencey thing! :D I do not own my own copy of Jurassic Park, but I really, really enjoyed it so much I plan to buy one for myself. I don't usually buy books unless I love them! (Or they're less than $5)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good book idea. Got to read it too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't it the best when you discover an older book and absolutely love it? This is buried in my TBR list somewhere. I should boost it up the list :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this book, too. One of my favorite aspects is how believable he made it.

    Definitely get yourself a copy of Watchers! It is one of my favorite books of all time. You will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Delphyne - Guess what. I got Watchers yesterday for my birthday. I am so excited to read it. Kind of scared though - sounds scary haha

    ReplyDelete
  13. Teacher/Learner - I highly recommend it! I think you will like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I hope you like Watchers. There is definitely lots of suspense but not too scary. Einstein is the coolest dog ever-- I included him in Top Ten Picks for favorite characters last year. Whatever you do don't watch the movie-- awful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lesa - Okay, thanks! I will read that on Monday, I think after I'm done with the one I'm devouring currently.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jillian,

    I found your post after I searched for a pic of the book (I have a book blog too) and I just finished reading Jurassic Park. IT WAS AWESOME. Lol, I had very similar reactions to the book. I don't know why it took me so long to actually get around to reading it - it was even better than the movie!
    Patsy

    ReplyDelete