Last Two Books I Read: The Storied Life of A.J.Fikry, The Circle

Friday, May 30, 2014

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
3 stars
If I can describe this book, I'd say that it was, simply put, charming. It felt like it was written for book lovers as there were so many bookish elements added in the story. It's mostly set in a bookshop in a small town, the bookshop owner is the protagonist, and several popular books were even quoted and mentioned.  
I did sort of expect a bit more from it though, I felt like it was too quick and not as developed as I would have liked. Things happened too fast, I found myself even wondering multiple times if I skipped a few pages. I didn't feel like I got the chance to truly connect with the characters, and I felt like they were not necessarily as likable as they probably should be. Overall, it was an easy, quick read, and it was definitely charming, but it's not a book I would put on the very top of the must-read-now list. 


The Circle by Dave Eggers
3.5 stars
I read The Circle for about a week or two, taking and enjoying my time devouring it. The premise, first off, is highly intriguing. I had to pick it up ever since I have heard anything about it. The book deals with the terrifying idea of digital utopianism, where transparency is required, and when everything about us is out there for the world to see. Privacy is considered old-fashioned and almost criminal.
I took my time reading it, and I had an enjoyable time getting through it. 
Sure, I have to admit, the book could be a lot shorter than it is. It was a bit repetitive for me at times, and I was even tempted to skip a few parts just because I feel like I've heard it all before. I also have to say that I did not really care for the main character, and felt like there weren't any redeeming qualities about her for me to stay by her side and root for her. Maybe that's the point?
Overall, I would recommend this book if you are looking for an interesting, unique general fiction novel. 

5 comments:

  1. I liked the reading suggestions and the portrait of life in a small book store.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry on audio and loved it, but I understand what you mean about the abruptness of some of the leaps forward in time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've added A.J. Fikry to my wishlist - sometimes we all need a charming little read :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww 3 stars for both :( At least you found them as books good enough to read! I haven't read two of the books, but what genre are they? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm very curious towards the A.J. Fikry book. I seem to see it everywhere I go :)
    New follower :)

    ReplyDelete