Weekly Geeks: Character Comparison

Sunday, May 23, 2010

This is the first time I ever joined Dewey's Weekly Geeks, and I think this is the perfect topic for me. For this week, we're asked to take a closer look at some literary characters. Specifically, we're asked to name one character that you can relate to, is a complete opposite of you, and one that you wish you could be more like. So I'm going to go ahead and get started.
...

I can relate to..

Jo March
- Aside from writing, her family is her #1 priority and #1 love. She is independent. She is not naive. She can be both a tomboy and a girly girl. She doesn't say yes to the first boy that asks her out. She only falls in love when she knows she is ready. A bit of a feminist.
Did I mention she's always been an aspiring writer? Then finally, when she was ready, she goes out to the "real world" to show her talent and skill with her craft. She is not afraid to be by herself out there, which shows her determination to pursue her goals. At first, she can not take rejections, but eventually, learns to cope. She eventually learns not to get offended with negative feedback. She learns to accept the fact that everyone -- and every great writer -- has gone through negative feedback and criticisms. She learns that you can never learn enough; that it is the only way to improve your writing, and ultimately, yourself.


I am a complete opposite of...

Bella Swan
- Kind of needy. A total damsel in distress. A bit self-centered, if I may say so myself.


I wish I could be more like...

Annabeth Chase- "Annabeth is Percy's rational side. She can think through things and look at options that sometimes evade Percy in his moments of battle panic." - Rick Riordan
Annabeth knows what she wants and works hard to get it too. She is a strong fighter; very courageous; one that never gives up or backs out. She is a total opposite of a damsel in distress, is smart, wise, and independent. I want to be more like her for these reasons, but mostly because though she is a strong female character, she is not afraid to ask for help. She knows that asking for help is not a sign of weakness. This also shows that she doesn't think highly of herself. She knows it's better and more effective to be fighting with a team -- with her case, with her friends -- than alone.
- She also never "dies" for attention from Percy -- even though she does get jealous at times with other girls. When he does give her attention though, she doesn't deny it. She accepts it, because she knows she wants it too. This side of her kind of makes her human, which I love.
...

Do you agree? Disagree? And who would be your picks? I'd like to hear what you think.

10 comments:

  1. Bella Swan is the complete opposite of me too. I love your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    Now that I hear that you are the complete opposite of Bella Swan, I respect you a little more! ;)

    (Not that I didn't respect you before--because of course I did--but you know what I mean, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bella annoys me, but I keep thinking we have something in common. I just don't know what. Also, I never stopped to think about characters and me... Like, never analyzed them. Well, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Thanks so much for sharing -- glad you decided to join Weekly Geeks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Jo March! that's a great one.
    And Annabeth is absolutely my favorite girl character EVER! I don't think I'd call her "independent," though, but rather interdependent. Cool meme! I've never heard of this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your answers! I'm not like Jo, but I would like to be. I almost put her on mine. I'm probably more like Bella than I would like to admit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed reading your answers...Jo is a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @kyla: Haha, that is nice to know!

    @E: Hahaha, yes I understand and agree with you completely.

    @Raila: I actually have never analyzed other characters before, althogh my answer for 'character I can relate to' was pretty automatic to me. You should do this too!

    @KT: Yes, I've been reading Weekly Geeks regularly, but finally participated for this week's topic!

    @Amelia: 'Interdependent' is a good way to put it and I definitely agree.

    @Shelley: Thanks! There are actually a lot of characters I'd love to be, haha.

    @Julie P: Yes, go ahead and list yours as well! I'd love to read it.

    @naida: I love reading yours as well.. Ann was a good pick for the 'opposite of you.' I agree! She was just evil. I can never do that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I can relate to Elizabeth Bennet, but also Bella Swan. Elizabeth in a way because she is very independent and witty and tells her own opinion. Bella in a way that I am also extremely clumsy, just fell down a couple of days ago and broke my ankle. Some other ways I am too like Bella since I am not that social person..

    I wish I could be more like Hermione Granger. And the total opposite of me must be Blair Waldorf from Gossip Girl books/tv series.

    I found your blog through blog hop. :)

    ReplyDelete