Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Genre: Fiction - Science Fiction
Rating: 5 stars

Review: I've never really been into the sci-fi genre much in general, and I haven't exactly explored it as much. For some reason, I have just never been particularly been a huge fan. But when several guys in my life - my brother, some of my friends, and my co-workers who aren't big readers at all - recommended it to me, I knew I had to try it. Well, I'm definitely glad I read this book. Ender's Game was a sort of breath of fresh air to me. It was something I have never read about before, and I really did enjoy the entire story thoroughly. I was hooked right from the beginning, and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I also liked the writing style Orson Scott Card has; it was very engaging, and the plot development was naturally flawless. As for the characters, they were very complex and likable - not stereotypical or one dimensional.

I can honestly say that though I haven't read a lot of sci-fi books, this is probably the best sci-fi book out there, in my opinion. Haha. I highly recommend everyone to try this one out because I think it's one of those books that any avid reader would appreciate. I recommend this to male readers as well. 5 stars and nothing else.

11 comments:

  1. Great review. I have been meaning to read this for ages.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my goals this year is to finally read Ender's Game. I'm glad to hear you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm am a sci/fi fan but have never read this despite how many times it has popped up on my radar--- just haven't gotten around to it-- but I will.

    Glad you enjoyed it--- maybe more sci-fi is in your future?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I first read this only last year and loved it - I have read many of the ones that after it as well - check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ender's Game is one of my favorites. I'd never read anything in the Sci-Fi genre and my Dad told me I just had to read this one. Of course it was amazing and I went on to read every single book in the series (I think there are 8 or 9 others). This book really opened my eyes to the fact that there are great books in every genre and I shouldn't rule any out just because it's not something I'd normally read. I'd highly recommend Ender's Shadow (Bean's side of the story) while it's fresh in your mind. So good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. People either seem to really love this book, or hate it. While I didn't hate it, I didn't love it either. So where does that leave me?! I might try more books from the series. I've heard they're a bit different than this one. Glad you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you liked this one! This is one of my favorite sci-fi, and one of my favorite books ever! Loved everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juju - I highly recommend it!

    Delphyne - Yes. I highly recommend it!

    Lesa - I truly didn't know you were a scifi fanatic! Would you recommend any others that you think might be good for people like me who aren't particularly in love with the genre?

    Tampa Bookworm - Looking forward to reading the rest for sure.

    Avid Reader - It's funny how it's also a male reader (this time your dad) who recommended this to you. I am looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series!

    Holly - Yes I can see why. I truly think it's the genre as well. I'm glad you sort of liked it though!

    Coffee and a Book Chick - Would you recommend any other good sci-fi ones that you think would be entertaining for somebody who doesn't particularly like the genre as much? Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, I like sci-fi. I need to read this one. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jillian: Hey, your question gave me an idea for some blogposts-- I've been wanting to talk about sci-fi more but the recent reads haven't been too inspiring-- No reason I can't blog about old faves that might appeal to readers of other genres. Thanks!

    One book that you might like is Acorna the Unicorn Girl by Anne Mccaffrey. It has a fantasy feel and even though it takes place on various planets it is not hard sci-fi.

    ReplyDelete
  11. naida - I recommend it especially if you like the genre! Thank you!

    Lesa - That post sounds like a good idea! I would definitely check it out when it is up. And thank you for that recommendation! It sounds like it's going to be right up my alley, so I will check that one out when I go to the library by the end of this week. And I do love unicorns so if it's about that, I'm all for it! :)

    ReplyDelete