where I say bye to one of my favorite places.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

If you have ever seen the movie, You've Got Mail, you probably remember the main female character, Kathleen Kelly, and how sad and heartbroken she was when she was closing her bookstore. She really felt like she was losing something that held so many of her memories.

And I know it's not quite the same, since first of all, I don't own the bookstore and second, Borders is a "huge bookstore company" and not a mom&pop shop. Regardless, I felt exactly this way when I went in this particular Borders this past weekend.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have had a lot of memories in this bookstore. When I first got to California from the Philippines -- I was 15 -- my parents would drop me off at this Borders and leave me there for hours while they were out job hunting and doing errands. I didn't mind at all, because I loved the place so much, plus these trips really helped me a lot when I would miss my family back home and feel homesick.

This has also become a 'designated hang out/meeting spot' for my best friends and I. We no longer hang out as much as we did in high school due to different college and work schedules, so we would always catch up here. My boyfriend and I also had a lot of simple dates and some of the best conversations here, even back when we were just friends. We'd hang out here, browse for new reads, talk about books, or talk about whatever at all. And to be honest, this is the place I go to when I just want to relax and unwind after a difficult and tiring day or something. There's just something incredibly homey, welcoming, and cozy about the place.

While there are some people who really hate on this place because it's a "big bad company owned" bookstore, I personally don't care. I love this place. Sure, it's a disadvantage that they have to sell books at normal retail price, (and I do love to support smaller book shops) but because I had a personal attachment to this bookstore -- even working for a year here -- I will genuinely miss it.

These are photos from when I dropped by this weekend. Walking in the store was harder than I expected; Everything was on sale. Most of the shelves were empty. Books and papers scattered on the floor. Employees obviously stressed and upset. There was also such an unbelievably long line. It was actually a very sad sight to see.


18 comments:

  1. Gosh it looks so abandoned that it makes me sad just by looking at it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW that is a sad sight.... books all over the floor and dishelved on the shelves. It almost shows a lack of respect the people have for the store all together. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a sad post! I don't have a connection to Borders, but if they ever closed my local Barnes and Noble, I'd feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sad that people had to treat the store that way and trash it. Have some respect for those books, and those booksellers, people! It's obviously a very hard thing to do, and I would be sick if I had to go through that with my store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh darling! That is tragic. I hate when I see books being mistreated. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am totally shocked and amazed, seriously people dropped, walked over and just, sigh, I cannot believe it, very sad indeed.

    Can you imagine your last days at work being like that, my heart goes out to the staff. Heartbreaking

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, what a sight for sore eyes! It goes to show that even corporations are suffering in this economy. Hopefully this isn't the start of a terrible trend :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. +JMJ+

    The pictures are very sad. The other customers seem to be fighting over a carcass. =(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness. Any bookstore closing is sad, but these pictures are downright horrifying to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sad indeed. Borders is one of my favorite places. I'd be just as sad if ours closed! (((Hugs)))

    Hope this cheers you up: http://proudbooknerd.com/2011/02/21/a-long-overdue-post/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's crazy! I can't believe those books on the floor... people are pigs, they really are. I liked Borders, but I'm not heartbroken that they're closing. They worked hard to put a lot of independent bookstores out of business, and then didn't keep their stores intelligently stocked. Turnabout is fair play, I guess. There are some wonderful employees at Borders, but I thought the management sucked.
    Still... those pictures are sad. It looks like a total zoo in there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, we are losing a Borders around here also. I'm not sorry (it's in a mall). And while I much prefer the indies, having the chain with the coffee, however unintelligently stocked, close by has proven to be too great a temptation. So, I feel your pain, Jillian.
    Any time a bookstore closes is a sad time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my gosh! Those pictures are really sad to look at. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...I'm blown away by those pictures. How very very sad to see what people have done to that store and the books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow the place is a mess. Its sad seeing the place like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that would be really difficult. :( It does look like it was a very cozy place, and is sure meant a lot to you! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete