Fat Chance by Leslea Newman

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Genre: Young Adult
Synopsis: Judi Liebowitz thinks she's fat. And she's convinced, as she confides in her diary, that she'd be happier if she were skinnier. So when Judi becomes friendly with pencil-thin, glamorous Nancy Pratt, she learns Nancy's secret and joins her in the secret binge-and-purge cycles of bulimia. Before long, Judi's life spins out of control and her obsession with food, calories, and pounds is no longer another typical eighth-grade problem--it's a matter of life and death.

Rating: 2.5 stars

Review: I thought this was an okay read, but couldn't give it a 3. While the writing is good, the characters likable enough, and the story line very believable and realistic, I didn't really "feel" anything. I didn't feel emotionally invested in the story. I didn't get carried away by it, and it didn't really blow me away. I did however appreciate the thought behind the story, and the message it is trying to send, but like I said, Fat Chance simply did not stand out to me in any way whatsoever. It wasn't a bad book or anything, and I really appreciate the book like I said, but there wasn't anything special about it either. It's just the type of book I would forget very easily and not really recommend to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment