Crash Into Me by Albert Borris

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Genre: Young Adult
Synopsis: Owen, Frank, Audrey, and Jin-Ae have one thing in common: they all want to die. When they meet online after each attempts suicide and fails, the four teens make a deadly pact: they will escape together on a summer road trip to visit the sites of celebrity suicides...and at their final destination, they will all end their lives. As they drive cross-country, bonding over their dark impulses, sharing their deepest secrets and desires, living it up, hooking up, and becoming true friends, each must decide whether life is worth living--or if there's no turning back.

Rating: 2 stars

Review:
The plot line was what really made me pick this up and read it to begin with. It seemed very promising, like it was going to deliver a good story with memorable characters. Unfortunately, it was very flat for me that by the time I got to the middle, I was rushing to finish the book. I was bored, because nothing was happening. I was not interested anymore, and could tell it just wasn't going to go anywhere.

When it came to the characters, I also didn't connect to them very much. I felt like they had no personality. Because I didn't really find them particularly likable or relate-able, I couldn't empathize with them, or root for them. I just couldn't get myself to actually care about them. It was one of those things; you feel bad for what they're going through, but it is not really affecting you as a reader.

I didn't see any sort of development either, with the plot or with the characters. I felt like the story just did not go anywhere. It was a book about something interesting that just did not deliver. It seems like it had the potential, but instead, it turned out to be dry and flat to me. It wasn't entirely a horrible book. It had its strengths, but it's just simply forgettable to me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the honest review. I have this book on my shelves waiting to be read but it looks like a thin book so would be a quick read. Too bad about the characters and plot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny - It is a quick read. I finished it in a day, but I was also kind of rushing through it. Hope you like it better than I did though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry you didnt enjoy it, thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete