Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 2.5 stars - Good for Paranormal YA fans, just not the right fit for me

What I Liked: Maggie Stiefvater's a good writer; plain and simple. Her words are unpretentious, and flows without effort. Sometimes it even sounds poetic. While the events in the book can be very cheesy, her writing tones it down and makes it actually believable. Also, I LOVE the cover.

Indifferent about: the characters. I like them, but not as much. I didn't really care much about them and their relationship to be honest.

What I Didn't Like: Their love story. I didn't get it. I didn't get where it came from, what its basis was, and why they like each other. I thought it was cheesy, and just not for me. I didn't care about them, like I said, and I didn't really root for them or anything. I know a lot of people really liked this aspect, but for me personally, it was a bit of a miss. Another thing was that I thought the pacing was slow. I have to admit, I was bored and rushing in the end.

Skip it if: you don't really read YA much, and if you're like me who's getting a bit tired of the whole werewolf phenomenon.

Read it if: you do like Paranormal YA with a bit of romance. I recommend you check it out for yourself. I know a lot of bloggers and my reader friends who really enjoyed this!

Overall: I can see why people love it so much, but this was just not the right book for me, that's all. It just wasn't my type.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I am very surprised by your review. I am very sorry you didn't like it much, I wish you would of been able to get into it. =/ Thank you for being honest in your review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for honest review. Do you think you'll continue wuth series?

    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the exact same way when I read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently reviewed this one and felt very similar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't reviewed this book, but I have read it. I really liked it, however the pace of the story was so slow I couldn't stand it at times. :) Great and honest review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I was the only one, I couldn't even finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the honest review! I've had my eye on this one. I do still want to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not every book is for every person and I see that was the case, I personally really liked it and hoping to read Linger sometime this year.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the Vintage Bookworm - Thanks for reading! Did you like this book?

    Juju - Thank you!

    Brandileigh - I think I will read Linger. I like Maggie S' writing so I might give it a try again.

    Steph - Glad to know I'm not completely alone with this opinion.

    Nina - The pace was a big issue for me, and thank you for reading.

    Aly - Yeah! It was hard for me to finish it because it was taking so long to get to the 'good parts.'

    naida - Yes, a lot of people really liked this so I recommend you give it a try anyway.

    Jenny N - I am going to read Linger as well sometime this year, hoping I'll like it much better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great review layout! I have the first 2 books in the series, but am waiting for the release of the 3rd book before I start to read them!

    I appreciate your honest opinion.

    ReplyDelete