Fixing Delilah by Sarah Ockler

Monday, February 7, 2011

Genre: Young Adult
Synopsis: Things in Delilah Hannaford's life have a tendency to fall apart. She used to be a good student, but she can't seem to keep it together anymore. Her "boyfriend" isn't much of a boyfriend. And her mother refuses to discuss the fight that divided their family eight years ago. Falling apart, it seems, is a Hannaford tradition. Over a summer of new friendships, unexpected romance, and moments that test the complex bonds between mothers and daughters, Delilah must face her family's painful past. Can even her most shattered relationships be pieced together again?

Rating:
4 stars

Review: First of all, I could not put this book down! It was impossible to, even when I kept promising myself, "one last chapter.. one last chapter.." This book kept me up, for a lot of reasons. It was definitely fast-paced, which I liked of course. It wasn't slow or anything, and I thought every chapter had a purpose. The plot line, also I have to say, is very intriguing. It's always interesting to read about the complicated lives and secrets of families, for some reason, and Fixing Delilah did a great job focusing on it, without it becoming too much. I liked the mysteriousness behind the story, and I absolutely loved the author's flow and style of writing. It seemed very unpretentious. As for the characters, I also liked each of them. I thought each of them had a purpose as well, and none of them were wasted. I especially liked the main protagonists, and loved the fact that I was able to actually care for them and their situation. Once they got me empathizing with them, I was hooked and just could not stop reading.

While I have to say this isn't necessarily a "favorite," or one that I would be raving about for days and days, I still really enjoyed it. I liked it, and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good YA read.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Twenty Boy Summer, so I have been really looking forward to this one! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you, but at some points I definitely got emotional! I loved this one.

    Jasmine
    The Reading Housewives

    ReplyDelete