Women in the Classics Genre: What would they wear today?

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Steph @ My Girl Friday gave me this really cute idea of putting together, a "fashion collage/board," based on the characters in the books that I have read. It's basically like putting together different clothes, accessories, etc, to create an entire wardrobe inspiration. I decided to do this little activity because 1) it's fun, and 2) I love the idea of dressing up according to personality. Clothes do make a statement, and I like seeing that through the clothes and accessories that people wear. Polyvore is a website that lets you do just that.

And because this is a book blog, I decided to use some of the female characters in some of my favorite novels in the Classics genre. These are just my interpretations and how I think they would dress if they were here today, right now, in 2010. Some are day wear, and some are obviously more for a night time look.

---

Mary Lennox - The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
I imagine her to be around her early 20s. Feminine, stylish, yet comfortable and practical. This one is heavily inspired, of course, by flowers and gardens.
Mary Lennox - The Secret Garden
--

Alice
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Describe style: Whimsical.
Alice in Wonderland inspired
--

Scarlett O' Hara
- Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Describe style: Elegant, sophisticated, classy
Scarlett O' Hara - modern day

--

Sara Crewe - A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Like Mary Lennox, I imagine her to be 15-25. Feminine, girly, and all things pink and princess-y!

Sara Crewe
--

Daisy Buchanan
(left) and Christine Daae (right) - The Great Gasby by F. Scott Fitzgerald and The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
Describe Daisy B: Very sophisticated, high-end, classy, elegant. Likes the finer things in life.
Describe Christine D: Feminine, soft, yet fiery.
Modern day - Daisy Buchanan&Christine Daae

--

Wendy Darling (left) and Dorothy (right) - Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie and The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum
Modern Day Wendy Darling and Dorothy


--


Jane Eyre - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Jane Eyre Inspired

--

Elizabeth Bennett
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Elizabeth Bennett - modern day

---

Yeah, as you can see, I live in a dream world where ladies wear dresses a lot still, haha. I don't, because I'm usually stuck in simpler things, but it's nice to dream! :) Go check out Steph's works, and if you have any ideas for future characters to do this on, please feel free to suggest some because I'd love to do this over again as it is so much fun!!


19 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    What a fascinating idea! Is it a challenge? If not, it should be! (Hint! Hint!)

    I'm rereading Jane Eyre now (as everyone in the world is probably tired of hearing) and I think that if she were a contemporary of ours, she'd have a dressed-down collegiate look--the sort one could afford on a tight budget. She'd find that they serve their purpose well enough . . . until the house party, when Blanche Ingram, et al. arrive looking like the cast of Gossip Girl. =P

    My ideas are certainly not as feminine or pretty as yours, Jillian; but I admit I go for the abstract rather than the aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this post!!! Alice's, Scarlett's, and Mary's the most. Keep doing posts like these, Jillian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. E - Haha, it WOULD be fun to do it as a challenge and see someone else's interpretations! Hmm.. I could see Jane Eyre in a collegiate look too. I guess this is more of her feminine looks.. Haha. It is also mainly why she I think has the least accessories. I didn't even want to give her a bracelet. She's a very simple, low-key, black dress kind of girl!

    May - Thanks :) Do one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jillian, this is a nice idea. I agree with Enbrethiliel that you should do this as a challenge. :) It would certainly be fun! Think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, Jillian yours are lovely! I really love the Wendy, Sara and Scarlett ones!

    Glad you had fun using Polyvore :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. GREYZ- I am thinking about it now.. trying to figure out a character that everyone will find "easy enough" to do the clothes on.. :)

    Steph - Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOOO cute! I love them all, but I would definitely wear Scarlett and Mary's outfits. They are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome!! I am a fashion addict so this is right up my alley! I completely agree with your choices! So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fun, fun post! Love all of these -- so creative and total eye candy. Agree with all of your choices, and am especially enamored with Scarlett and Alice's duds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SO pretty! I want Scarlett's outfit for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily - I would wear Mary's too the most -- maybe Alice's dress too -- and Scarlett's makes me want to wear more green! :)

    Jamie - Thanks for the RT on twitter! And I am a fashion addict too. Though I don't dress like one. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meg - Thank you :)

    Lyndsey - Me too! She makes me want to wear a lot more green!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG
    Seriously
    I LOOOOOOOOOOVE these.
    I want to wear them all :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Juju and Avid Reader - Glad you both liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post! I want all of these clothes and accessories!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jillian, please get together with Steph and work out how this can be a challenge! At least two of the girls at Baja Greenawalt's have been Polyvore fans for a while and would just love to do this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea. I'm a big fan of Elizabeth's and Sarah's looks. So beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Delynne - Thank you! We might do that if I get to talk to her.. would love to do that! But recently, I just did another Polyvore outfit and a challenge is also included.

    Letter4no1 - glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete