my mom's reading habit

Saturday, September 18, 2010

It's my mom's birthday today, September 18th, so I decided to go ahead and dedicate a bookish post about her and her famous funny reading habit.

My mom loves to read. She's always loved books, and while her reading taste is eclectic, her favorite ones to devour are Mysteries and Crime Thrillers. She rarely has time to read now that she has such a busy schedule, but sometimes, she picks up a book, and takes the time to sit down, relax, and tries to finish it. The thing with her though is that while she loves mysteries, she simply can't -- and I mean, absolutely can not -- stand the wait and the suspense! So what she does is.. she goes to the last few chapters/pages and reads from there. She finds out who the suspect is, what the twist is, and how everything will end. When she's done doing this, she goes to back to the first chapter and begins to read with all that knowledge already in her head. She just can't stand not knowing.. I keep telling her she's weird and I would never be able to do that! But that's just how she has always been, and the truth is, she's even like that with slow movies too! I really don't know anybody else with that kind of reading style, so I thought I'd share. Hahaha.

Happy Birthday, Mommy. I love you!


16 comments:

  1. you know i gotta say awwww right? it's so sweet of you to dedicate a post to her like that, happy birthday!! hope she has a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL that is funny! I don't know if I can do that either, because it ruins the whole point of reading for me. Happy Birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'd tried that before but the excitement isn't there anymore. Plus, when a book is a slow read, I tend to stop and come back to it some other time. Pick a different book. It's sweet that you dedicated a post for your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, I do the exact same thing with every book I read. I think, to date, the only exception has been Harry Potter 7 =P
    Happy birthday to your mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maligayang kaarawan to your mom! --I'll have to try her way one day and see how that goes for me. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to your mum!

    Does she like Columbo? We always see the murderer there and then watch Columbo 'play' with them as he unravels the mystery.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet post! I know other people who do the same thing. I couldn't do it, but it works for some people!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to your mom!!!

    That is funny and I would never do it-- but reread of a fave book is never ruined by knowing the story at least for me-- actually the experience is enhanced and I always see new things each time-- maybe that is how your mom feels even on the first read.

    Actually, one of my friends from school used to read the last pages of a book first-- she is a quirky fun girl and I hope to get her blogging on Mrs. Bg someday-- wonder if she would give away spoilers in her reviews.. hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do the same thing. Not with every single mystery but with many of them. Happy birthday to your mother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday to your mom! My mother in law does that with Romance novels, she needs to know if the couple ends up together or not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday to your mom! Like you, I want the suspense to build, and simply CAN'T make myself go to the end of a book first, BUT I have two of three daughters who read exactly the same way as your mum!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the greetings everyone and it's really interesting hearing that some ARE like my mom and some are like me when it comes to handling the suspense in reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. +JMJ+

    This is a lovely tribute to your mother, Jillian! =)

    If I weren't part of the Mrs. Baja Book Liberation Army (Hi, Lesa!), I'd recommend giving your mother a Mystery with the last few pages ripped out. Then give them to her only when she was finally reached the end! LOL!

    Seriously, I think her little idiosyncrasy is very charming. And it certainly doesn't keep her from enjoying the books, anyway! =)

    ReplyDelete