The Dante Club

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Synopsis: If you ask some of the major literary figures, Longfellow, Lowell, Holmes, and Dante to get together to solve a mysterious murder case, and you were wondering how it would play out, this novel would be your answer. The Dante Club is a novel full of history, literature, suspense, and fast-paced thrill.

Review: First of all, kudos to the author for making such a unique and intriguing premise, and for starring these real life characters in a fiction story. Another kudos for the fact that it truly came off that the author did a thorough and careful research. Historical facts were stated, characters were on-point, there were barely any plot holes at all, etc. Also, the way the author wrote and talked about the setting was good too. I was able to really picture Boston (I have never actually been there) right after the Civil War. I think it had most to do with the author's way of writing his details and descriptions, without really giving too much information. I liked that it was subtle, but direct.

I do have minor complaints though. There were some situations and events that were too over the top or exaggerated. Another thing that I thought was too over the top were the other characters aside from the four main ones. The others were all pretty much based off stereotypical nonsense. Because of these negative aspects, I didn't find any of these very believable, and so I had a hard time relating myself to the book and completely immerse myself to it.

Please don't get me wrong though. This book is not terrible. I can't even say that it was bad. It has its good points and it also has its bad points. I liked it in a way, simply because it was interesting and fast-paced. I also do recommend it, but only to certain readers. If you like historical fiction, and if the plot itself about the four literary characters intrigue you, then go for it. If you are neither though, I really do suggest you skip this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment