Pablo Neruda

Thursday, February 4, 2010



- Pablo Neruda
I can't even remember how young (or old) I was when I first read this poem. But this is not only my ultimate favorite poem, this was also definitely one of the things that inspired me to venture more into other means of literature. Specifically, since knowing this piece, more popularly known as Sonnet 17, written by Pablo Neruda, I've never stopped reading (and writing) poetry.

Though I don't remember how young I was back then, I do remember though, a random story somehow related to this book. I'll warn you already: this is super random and corny.. Forgive me for my brief episode of self-indulgence.

...

It was three years ago, just a few days before my birthday. I was still working at my old job. During my break, I went to get my purse. When I opened it, I was surprised to find a cute, little, pink book stashed in there.
Then there it was, my third copy of Pablo Neruda's 100 Love Sonnets. It took me a few days to find out who it was from, because it was put there secretly, as a birthday gift. It's funny because that person and I were just co-workers; less than friends, more than acquaintances. We had a few short conversations here and there, mostly small talk. We were never really close, and even today, we don't contact each other anymore. Up to this day though, there are things I still don't know: 1) how that person even knew that book was my favorite. 2) why that person even considered giving a gift.
Maybe he paid more attention to all the random stuff I talked about. Maybe he asked another co-worker. Maybe he asked a close friend of mine. Also, maybe he really just likes giving gifts to people. I don't know. Whatever the reason was, and no matter what our relationship was (or lack thereof) the fact still remains that it was definitely one of the most thoughtful things ever done for me :)

...

Long story short, I suggest you not only read the sonnet posted above, but read the entire book. Get a copy of it, borrow it from someone, check it out from the library.. however you want to get a hold of it, do it.
If you like poetry, sonnets, literature, reading, writing, or if you just love words..
then you will love this.

3 comments:

  1. i actually think that's a really cute story. it brings more meaning to a book collection when it has a memorable background.

    do more recommendations please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story; I must read more Neruda, and this sonnet is lovely. Thank you for sharing!

    Thank you, too, for the nice comments you left on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I agree that it really does bring more meaning to a book, or something like an object, when there's a story behind it. Also, yes, more recommendations!

    ReplyDelete