Nightlight: A Twilight Parody

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"About three things I was absolutely certain. First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe. Second, there was a vampire part of him–which I assumed was wildly out of his control–that wanted me dead. And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me."

Twilight fans may hate me because I found Nightlight to be such a funny book, but I can not lie. I really thought it was a laugh-out-loud take, and I enjoyed it immensely. It's not just because of its topic, but because the writing itself was actually very amusing.
I do highly recommend this ONLY to those who HAVE read the series though, or at least its first installment. If you haven't, I feel that it will be a lot harder to understand Nightlight's motives. It would also be harder to grasp its full effect, from the way it mimics Stephenie Meyer's writing to its blank pages, that is used to depict Bella's "depression stage." <-- my favorite part by the way.
But.. and there is a big but here.. If you loved the series and its movies, and know already you will be offended with these kinds of parodies, then I suggest you skip this one. However, if you are a fan of the series but don't mind poking fun at it anyway, try this out.
Finally, I have to say, I do not believe this was written to hate on Twilight. To make fun of it, yes, but not to bash it. It really is just harmless fun. Hilarious, but harmless nonetheless.
Overall, I really have to applaud The Harvard Lampoon for taking this chance to make not only an amusing and entertaining parody, but a smart and effective one at that. To be honest, my only complain would be that it was too short. Then again, that's just me.

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was hilarious! You're right too about the fact that this is not hating on Twilight, but rather, just harmless fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds funny! I enjoyed the first three Twilight books, so I may have to grab a copy of this one for a good laugh.
    Great review!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. +JMJ+

    Hahahaha! I have a friend who will get a real kick out of this. I'm going to send him the link to your post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must find a copy of this. I enjoyed the Twilight series guiltily, so might find some catharsis in reading this. Hope it is available in Australia!

    http://baja-greenawalts-cozybooknook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete