Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Genre: Fiction - Chick Literature
Synopsis: Nothing comes between Becky Brandon (née Bloomwood) and her bargains. Neither act of God nor budget crunch can shatter her dreams of wall-to-wall Prada. Every milestone in her well-shopped life (travel, long-lost sister, marriage, pregnancy) inspires new vistas to explore in the name of retail therapy. But now she faces her greatest little challenge yet: Becky’s two-year-old daughter, Minnie.

Rating: 4

Review: I have always enjoyed the Shopaholic series. I love reading about the main character, Becky Bloomwood-Brandon. As annoying as she is and her 'crazy, erratic, shopaholic ways,' she can also be quite endearing and lovable. She's the type of character you just can't help but like and root for at the end, despite all her craziness. I've also always liked her because she doesn't seem like a walking stereotype. She seems like a real person, making stupid mistakes and whatnot.

To be honest, there's not much to be said about the novel, hence the short review. It was typical Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella style -- light, fun, a 'beach' read. The writing is conversational, and it makes me want to keep reading as I get attached to the things happening in the story. But I think it's greatest strength is how light and easy it is. It's a book about a shopaholic. Sometimes it's just nice to relax and end the day with a light-hearted, cute, and funny book. Mini Shopaholic was exactly that to me. It entertained me from the very first chapter to the last, and I don't know what else I can ask for from a book.

4 comments:

  1. Becky tends to really get on my nerve, and that's partly why I stopped reading the Shopaholic series. But I heard this one's good, so I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't started this series, but I have all of them sitting on my shelf. I will get to them some day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read Remember Me? and loved her dialogues :) I should try this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touloulou - She does get on my nerves too, but there's something sort of addicting about her erratic ways that keeps me reading.

    ReplyDelete