Jane Eyre 2011

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jane Eyre is probably my favorite book in the Classics genre. I first read it when I was in high school as a requirement, and though I liked it, the experience was nothing compared to when I read it again for sheer leisure. It was as if I discovered these characters and their love story for the first time. I remember also, watching almost every Jane Eyre movie that there is, just to find one that will cure my Jane Eyre-obsession. I have to say, while they were all very different from each other, I liked all of them as each offered something new to the table.

Now in 2011, there will be a new Jane Eyre movie coming out starring Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland) and Michael Fassbender (Inglourious Basterds!!) I went to the movies yesterday to watch Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader -- which is a whole other blog post -- and saw the official poster for the Jane Eyre movie. I got excited, nervous, and hopeful all at the same time! What do you think of them doing another remake? Of the actors playing? And if you have watched any other adaptations, which one would you recommend?

9 comments:

  1. The trailer looks so good! Although, I am a bit nervous about it because it looks like they're trying to play up the "haunted-ness" of the movie, almost like they want fans of paranormal romances to watch it. But I do like the general dark feel of it.

    I read Jane Eyre as a senior in high school because I did my senior thesis on Charlotte Bronte. Such a great book! I really should re-read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane Eyre, too. I guess there are so many remakes because of so many different views upon it and I think it's good, because if there are many adaptations of the same book, people can find the one closest to their perception of the book. So far, may favourite is the Jane Eyre BBC mini series from 2006.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess - I agree, they are really making it very Gothic-like! I don't mind, because the book itself is like that, but I hope they don't overdo it and don't focus on it too much!

    Pepca - I'm so happy because my favorite is the BBC mini as well! I wish they would bring it back or something.

    naida - Oh you should! What is your favorite classics novel?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up. I LOVE Jane Eyre and watched all or most of the movies, too. (can I say even more than the Austen books)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently saw the 2006 BBC mini series and loved it! I'm definitely with you guys on that one. It's my new fav.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim - I do love Austen, but I agree I definitely love Jane Eyre more.

    Avid Reader - Yay, glad to know you liked it too! They should sell a DVD of that or something.. I'd buy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did anyone else notice that at the very end of the trailer, Rochester's eyes turn completely black? Like he is some strange creature or something? Is this from the book, like in one of Jane's dreams? I can't remember and if they are planning on making this even more Gothic by adding something paranormal about Rochester...I don't know whether to be fearful or excited lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly Melly - Sorry for the super late reply but I just watched the trailer again and noticed that too. I feel like they are trying to add the 'paranormal' effect of it because of the current vampire/werewolf craze. Like you said I don't know whether to be fearful or excited.

    ReplyDelete