Matched by Ally Condie

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
Synopsis: Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

Rating: 4 stars

Review: I have been really liking the Dystopian genre so far, especially when I discovered about the Hunger Games and The Maze Runner series. To me, they offer something new to the table. For this YA novel by Allie Condie, I can honestly say the same thing. Matched is a sweet, old-fashioned love story, set in a very interesting (and sometimes rather dangerous) place and time. The setting definitely adds a new twist to it, and makes everything very intriguing. I also enjoyed reading about the characters; I felt as if they were very realistic, and not just based off 'teenage' stereotypes.'

The only thing I don't like about this novel is the pace. For some reason, I did have trouble trying to finish it. It wasn't as if it was boring; maybe it's just me, but it just wasn't as fast-paced and as much of a page-turner as I wished it was. Overall though, I recommend it if you like YA and the growing Dystopian genre. The whole 'love story' theme adds something new and extra, the ending leaves you satisfied and promises for something possibly better. Yet, it also leaves you wanting for more. It's not a favorite of mine, but it was still really good! Personally, I can't wait to read the sequel for this, as I did enjoy this a lot. 4 stars!

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading Matched right now. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's definitely pretty slow going though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to get my hands on this one! I've heard a lot of good things. I'm really getting into the whole dystopian lit scene as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to read it for quite some time! But I guess I'll wait as it is not published in France yet (I could still order it online in English, but I'm trying to save up ^^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know you can create short urls with AdFocus and receive cash for every visitor to your shortened links.

    ReplyDelete