Looking for Alaska by John Green

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
Synopsis: Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave "the Great Perhaps" even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Review: I don't why it took me so long to read this! I have been hearing so many rave reviews about this and now, you can add my review to that 'rave review' pile. Looking for Alaska is just plain good. The plot is interesting, and is wonderfully told and wonderfully written. The narratives simply flow without effort, and seemed very genuine and real. I also liked the main characters, especially Pudge! I also liked Alaska herself; so flawed yet with redeeming qualities. I saw those as well, just like Pudge did, which to me, is important. It was nice to see what the author was really trying to tell his readers, without over explaining things.

So yes, I highly recommend this. Mostly, I recommend this to YA readers, and teenagers. A little note for parents though, there are some few racy scenes that may be inappropriate maybe for, say, middle schoolers or younger teens, but I suggest you read it and judge it for yourself.

As for adult readers, I think you would like and appreciate this as well. It is honest, raw, and sometimes sad, sometimes funny. All in all, this is a book that is absolutely genuine and authentic. It just doesn't sound pretentious or fake. It is also quite an eye-opener, without it being preachy. Great writing, great characters, great story-telling. A must read. 4.5 stars!

7 comments:

  1. I loved reading this book. It was just so absorbing and fresh. Nice review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book, I love John Green! I'm so glad you enjoyed it, great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one. It was my fist book by Green and after it I was a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love love loved this one! Immediately got his other book since Alaska made me so sad, I didn't want it to end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So need to read this! I've heard so many awesome things about John Green that my next shopping cart will be only full of all his novels. Really. I promise myself it will be this way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really have to read will grayson now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dazzling Mage - I agree. Thanks!

    Katie - Thanks Katie! I think I have found a new author to "stalk" aka read-all-his-books-till-there's-no-more. Haha.

    Avid Reader - I have not read any more of John Green's works so I'm excited to discover them!

    Jill - Yeah I figured you would like this. Alaska's a bit like Stargirl. They could be best friends in real life ;)

    Raila - Yes you should it is so good! :) I think you will enjoy it.

    BookQuoter - Will do. I haven't read it yet!

    ReplyDelete