One Day by David Nicholls

Monday, December 27, 2010

Genre: General/Literary Fiction
Synopsis: Emma and Dexter meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways. So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year that follows? Twenty years, two people, ONE DAY.

Rating: 4 stars

Review: I am so happy this book was my 100th one to read for 2010, and I'm even happier that I loved it. One Day is a simple but good story, told by a talented author for sure. The narratives are just plain good, and flowed conversationally. It was as if I was hearing a close friend of mine tell me their story instead, and not a fictional character's. It made me not only get into the plot line -- which is rather unique and original -- but made me appreciate and root for the protagonists as well. Emma and Dexter are great characters to read about. Granted, they have many flaws, but who doesn't? To me, these flaws make them even more likeable, and make them easy to relate to. While I have to admit, there are a couple of moments when I personally HATED Dexter, there were also a lot of times when I was in love with him. I guess that's a good thing, because it shows that I did feel for these characters. Only good and realistic writing can do that. That being said, I have to say the author did a terrific job building their personalities and their characteristics. They truly seemed like real people to me, and not stereotypical at all.

There are some things I would have preferred differently, but then again, I still do think it's good. It is so well written, and I was never tired or bored while reading it. I don't think it's a book for everyone, but I do think most who enjoy literary fiction will appreciate this as much as I did.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this one too.
    I would have preferred it to go a different way towards the end but that would have been predictable.
    It was a "where did that come from" moment, but made for a good read.

    carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you liked this one. Somebody we both know really loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm so glad you liked it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dizzy C - I agree, like I said, I wanted some things differently. Still, I did like how it turned out.

    BookQuoter - Yeah, she recommended this book to me because I was looking for my 100th book to read.

    AteJustine - Yup, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this book.

    ReplyDelete