Cut by Patricia McCormick

Monday, July 19, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
Synopsis: Fifteen-year old Callie is a cutter. She is in Sea Pines, a mental institution, for it. She seeks therapy, but is still unable to talk and speak about her problems. She doesn't talk about why she does it and how she does it. Through different people and different situations, eventually, she realizes that speaking up might actually be the first, crucial step towards healing and moving on.

Review: When I first read the synopsis from the back of the book, I immediately thought that this was going to be a thought-provoking novel to open readers' eyes about self-injury and self-infliction. When I finally got to finish the book, first thing I said was, "That's it?" It's a short book. A fast read. Personally, it's a little bit too rushed for me. I didn't quite get what the book is entirely about and I feel as if the subject is used simply as just one of its many sub-plots.

I didn't entirely connect with the characters, as I didn't have the chance to get to know them very well. Like I said, it felt a little rushed. The writing is really good though, and loved the pace and flow. So that being said, Cut is not a bad book, but it did fall a little short in my opinion.

If you would like to read a book that deals with the subject a little better, I highly recommend Willow by Julia Hoban. For Cut, I would give it 3 stars. You can put it it in your TBR list and it's definitely worth the read, but I really don't think it's that good. It's an okay read.

1 comment: