Top Ten Picks: Favorite Books to Movies

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Top Ten Picks is an original meme here on the blog where I pick a specific topic, make a list, and post them up here. For this week, the topic is on our favorite books-to-movie adaptations. In my opinion, these are the ones that have truly captured the essence of the books, and did it justice! Some, even might have exceeded expectations.. So without further adieu, here are my picks in no particular order.

...

1. Shutter IslandDennis Lehane is an incredible mystery/thriller writer. I love all of his books, most especially Mystic River and Shutter Island. But have you seen the recent movie adaptation? It's one trippy movie. And I know, I hear a lot of people say it starts off slow, but I think that's one of the major things that make the book&the movie work; the suspense and the mystery. And them - bam - everything ties together and you're just like, WHAT? In a good way, I have to say.


2. Psycho
It's just a movie, it's just a movie, it's just a movie. Yes, that's what I tell myself everytime I remember what happens in the movie, or try this; everytime I'm in the shower! The book is good, but the movie, in my opinion, is just better. Simply a classic everyone should watch at least once.


3. A Clockwork Orange
If you haven't read this out-of-this-world book, I highly recommend it. I have to warn you though, it truly is.. out. of. this. world. It is beyond weird, I can't even explain. When you watch the movie, the weirdness of it all picks up a notch, resulting into one of the strangest and creepiest films I have ever seen. Watch it, read it.. just remember, like I said, it's just a movie.


4. Breakfast At Tiffany's
I loved the novel. I have to admit though, Audrey Hepburn is Breakfast at Tiffany's. Without her, it wouldn't be the iconic movie that it is.


5. The Shining
Justify Full I read The Shining when I was around 13-15 or so. Not a good move, especially knowing that I am such a big chicken when it comes to horror stories! While the book itself is creepy, and made me freaked out by hotels, the movie was just plain scarier. Mainly I think, because of Jack Nicholson. He was just extremely believable as a psychotic person. And how can I forget that scene where.. uh.. I really shouldn't be thinking about that right now. Moving on.....!


6. Fight Club
When you read a Chuck Palahniuk novel, what you can expect is a visit to another world, far from where you live. Fight Club is an exciting story, no matter what. While the novel was really, really good, I personally thought that the movie was even better!


7. Sex and The City: TV SERIES
(I know.. I'm cheating)
It's not exactly a movie -- though there have been two already. But I still am in love with this HBO series, I just have to include them. In fact, I love the series even more than I liked the books. I love all the characters. I love their different personalities and their different lifestyles. I even love the actors that played them. I love their friendship, feminist attitudes, and overall appeal. I just am a HUGE fan of the show, period.


8. Schindler's List
I watched the movie when I was 13. I will never forget it. Ever. Yes, it's a sad, tragic, and maybe even depressing, but I can not recommend it enough. You have to see this at least once in your life.


9. Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory
Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors when I was younger, but I have to admit, there is just something extra special about the 1971 film adaptation. Perhaps it's the song, "Come with me.. and you'll see.. in a world of pure imagination.." Or maybe it's Gene Wilder himself. Maybe it's even the whole creepy boat scene. I don't know exactly, but what I know for certain is that this one of my favorite childhood movies. I will rewatch it again and again if I could. Also, I don't know about you, but I will never forget that tiny speck of hope I still feel when I open a bar of chocolate, imagining I will find a little golden ticket.. somewhere, someday ;)


10. The Notebook
The novel is good, sure. But can we just please talk about the movie? Its power, its pull, and its ability to make me cry every single time I watch it? I mean, I have seen this movie maybe 100x but I still shed a tear for this. Everytime, it never fails. The fact that Ryan Gosling and Rachel Mcadams did so well here, and made me truly believe in their love story. The fact that even when they got older, I still believed in them. In other words, it's just a genuinely real, classic, lasting, believable, romantic love story -- one that just don't happen everyday. What more can I say?
....

If you would like to join in, all you have to do is:

1. Do a post, listing all your answers. You do not have to include pictures, descriptions, or explanations, but if you would like to do so, feel free!
2. Please sign the Mr. Linky box below with the specific URL of your post.



Agree, Disagree? Let me know! Can't wait to hear to see all your lists, this week!

32 comments:

  1. Great topic this week! I think I'm going to have to join. I agree with #10 of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read and watched Breakfast at Tiffany's and The Notebook. Their both wonderful even though they didn't stick to the book. Breakfast at Tiffany's especially didn't, but had it been any other actress I don't think it would've worked. I've seen A Clockwork Orange and it was pretty messed up so I don't think I'll be reading it since my mind would make it so much creepier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great picks! I can't wait to read the books on your list that I haven't read yet, like A Clockwork Orange.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, some awesome picks! I am especially a fan of Psycho - the film is just amazing.

    I definitely think I'll have to do my own list soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. +JMJ+

    What? No Twilight books? =P

    ROFLMAO! Just kidding, Jillian! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @May: Thanks girrrll, you better do your list soon too! ;)

    @Adriana: Do you know that Capote actually did not like Audrey Hepburn for the part and wanted Marilyn Monroe instead? I think the fact that they cast Hepburn made aalll the difference. She was subtle, and totally unexpected!
    I do agree though that you don't have to read A Clockwork Orange if you've seen it already, and vice versa as well. In my opinion, one dose of that creepy story is more than enough! :P

    @Julie P: Thank you :)

    @Irena: I hope you like it. Well.. "I hope you get creeped out by it", since I think that is the main goal of the author. LOL.

    @Darlyn: Thanks, Darlyn!

    @Girl Friday: Yes, that film is such genius and a classic. And go, go, go list your own ;)

    @E: Unfortunately? Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choices... especially "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great list! You really surprised me with some of your choices! I'm in the middle of a stretch at work, but I'll try to post this later on this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jeez! Great minds thing alike again! We have this on our master list of Top Ten Tuesday ideas! I'll have to link yours when we do it!

    I always read the book first and this annoys my boyfriend because it limits what we can see lol. But sometimes movies slip in there before I read the book..Fight Club and Breakfast at Tiffany's are two of those! Can't wait to read both of them as they both are two of my favorite movies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your choices . I haven't read Clockwork Orange but would like to. I am too
    freaked out by the Shining to actually read it
    but I am sure it's a good adaptation
    and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree, The Notebook movie is amazing! I really must get around to reading/watching Shutter Island, heard a lot of great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, what a great list! First of all, I loved The Shining (book AND the movie), and you're right--Jack Nicholson nails the role. And that's a lot coming from me. I'm a huge Stephen King fan and The Shining is one of 3 that I thought were any good.

    Also, you're totally right about the older version of Willy Wonka. I dunno if it's just because I grew up with that version, but the Johnny Depp one doesn't even come near it.

    AND (phew, I'm running out of breath!), I'm glad I'm not the only one who cries every time they watch The Notebook. I thought the book was okay, but I definitely love the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny about The Shining - I found the book TONS scarier than the movie. In fact I think the movie is laughable. And scary movies really scare the sh*t out of movie! But that book is terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @readerreads: Thank you, I love that movie!

    @Holly: Looking forward to your list and take your time! :)

    @Jamie: Haha, great minds think alike indeed. If I ever do my topic on anything you do or have already done, I'll definitely link it up to yours too!

    @bookaddict4real: I think Clockwork Orange is more like a really psychological creepy type of scary, and The Shining is plain horror! LOL

    @Kelly: The Notebook is an amazing love story. We can only wish for such a story like that! Shutter Island was pretty trippy; try it.

    @JessiKay89: o0ooh what are the other 2 Stephen King that you liked?
    I also did not LIKE the Johnny Depp version, though I do love me some Johnny Depp. I just didn't think it captured the true essence and wonder of the story in the chocolate factory.
    And I'm curious, which part in The Notebook do you cry? I always cry in the end, when they're in the hospital :/

    @Carin S: My older sister feels the same way you do as well :) I don't know for me, there was something really creepy about Jack Nicholson. The book is plain genius though, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never read or heard of any of these but you certainly make me want to watch them! I'm going to have to some time. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The other two Stephen King movies that I liked were Carrie (because let's face it, Sissy Spacek is deliciously creepy as Carrie) and The Green Mile.

    And definitely true about Johnny Depp--I love him, don't get me wrong, but he just didn't do it for me in that one.

    Oh, and in The Notebook, I always start crying when she forgets who he is at the end and the nurses have to come in...oh, even thinking about it--so sad!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Katherine: I think you should start with watching The Notebook -- a must see! :)

    @JessiKay89: Oh dear, yeah that scene in The Notebook gets me every time as well! And ha, my other favorites from Stephen King are those two also. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I haven't read most of those (or seen the movies... I know, I know). Well, I have seen The Notebook. I hated it. *ducks*

    I really do need to see Breakfast at Tiffany's one of these days, though...

    ReplyDelete
  19. @La Coccinelle: Aww.. I absolutely loved that movie. I honestly don't think I've ever heard of anyone who doesn't like The Notebook. But it's okay.. ;) Why didn't you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for posting this. I've added my list to Mr. Linky.

    ReplyDelete