The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June by Robin Benway

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
On Sale: August 2010
Synopsis: Three sisters have three different magical, special, and extraordinary powers. April, the oldest, can see the future. May, the middle-child, can literally disappear. And the youngest June can read minds. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls must come together to save the day or risk falling apart forever. Will they realize how much they need one another, before it's too late? Because if there's anything stronger than magic; it's sisterhood.

Review:
Plot: 5 stars
One of my favorite TV series when I was around 13-15 was Charmed. Do you remember that show? Three sisters, who happen to be witches, fighting against demons and other evil forces using their magic powers? I loved that show! The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June has pretty much the same concept, except that these are teens this time around, and without the witches and the demons.

Characters: 4 stars
I found them all interesting, and very unique with their own special and extraordinary "secrets." They were believable and realistic, and generally, very complex protagonists. I liked them all, but have to admit, I played favorites here. I was especially fond of the middle sister, May. I don't know -- there's just something about her character that speaks to me. Maybe it's because I'm a middle child also, between an older sister and a younger brother? Haha. Maybe.

Cover: 5 stars
The cover looks great in photos, but in person, it's just even prettier! It's just the kind of cover that will instantly grab your attention and intrigue you, if you were just browsing around the bookstore or something.

Writing: 3.5 stars
I enjoyed the way the author, Robin Benway, wrote. I liked that there were 3 narrators, and that the dialogues and wordplay chosen are very natural; not forced. However, there were some times I had to look back and double check who was speaking. While the three sisters' personalities were distinct, unfortunately, their voices were not as much. Aside from that though, I still liked it!

Overall: 4 stars!
I enjoyed this book a lot. I thought it was light, fun, and entertaining. I didn't want to put it down because I just wanted to know everything already, and loved getting into the minds of these realistic and believable characters. And when it ended, I immediately wished there was more, wanting to know already what happens next. Sequel, please!

5 comments:

  1. Aw, I'm so so so glad you enjoyed this book, Jill. I'm very excited to read one more Robin Benway's book, since I loved Audrey, Wait! :) Thank you so much for reviewing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the Halliwell sisters! I wasn't sure about this book, but it actually sounds like something I would like. I'll have to get it when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I've never heard of this but it sounds great. I'm just getting into YA again so I may check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this sounds really good. yoru review makes me want to read it!
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great book, one that I would enjoy! I'll keep an eye out for it! :)

    ReplyDelete