Scars by Cheryl Rainfield

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
Rating: 4.5 stars
Synopsis: Kendra was sexually abused as a child, and while the painful memories are still so strong, she can not remember one important aspect of the horrifying event; who did it. Confused and feeling alone more than ever, she seeks help from cutting. She cuts to cope, to forget, and ultimately, to survive.

Review: If I could pick just one word to describe this novel, it would definitely have to be that it is realistic. It is painfully so, but I think that is its biggest strength, ultimately. Scars offers a unique take on issues like self-harm, sexual abuse, and even homosexuality. I was pleasantly surprised at how the author handled each of them with great sensitivity. I also liked the fact that though the story itself teaches us important lessons and eye-opening information, it didn't appear forced at all, or preachy, like a lecture. To me, I truly felt for the character, Kendra, as if she is speaking to me one on one, about her life and about her problems. It is not that often that we discover characters that we truly learn to care about, so I was happy that I found it in Kendra's character.

Overall, I'd have to say Scars is an extremely raw, dark, but honest novel. I recommend it to mature YA readers, and I think the story and its power deserves to be heard and to be read at least once.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Scars sounds intriguing - I like YA which pushes boundaries and are a bit darker. I'll have to add it to my to-read list. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it sounds sad, dramatic, and this cover give me the chills, though I super loved it. Thank you for the review, Jill!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Girl Friday: So do I.. I like reading about real life stories that might actually happen to real life people.

    @Raila: The cover is scary! I hate looking at it.

    ReplyDelete