A Month of Reading: June 2010

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Books Read This Month:
Wake by Lisa Mcmann
Oxygen by Carol Cassella
Buying Time by Pamela Samuels Young
The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles
Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick
Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
East by Edith Pattou
The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell
Lover Eternal by J.R. Ward

Total Number of Books Read This Month:
10

Favorite Reads:
Dark Lover by J.R. Ward - 4 stars
Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles - 5 stars
East by Edith Pattou - 5 stars

Not-So-Favorite Reads:
The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell - 1 star
The Wednesday Sisters by Meg Waite Clayton - 2.5 stars

Overall Thoughts:
I loved this month! First off, I discovered two of my favorite reads SO FAR this year in Perfect Chemistry and in East. I've said this before and will say it again, if there was such a thing as a book crush, Perfect Chemistry would be mine! East is another favorite simply because it is a wonderfully written retelling of a classic fairy tale.
I also got to read an entertaining series that I think will be a favorite of mine as well -- The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R. Ward. These books are just addicting, and I love all the characters in the brotherhood.

Unfortunately, there were two that were not exactly that good. One is The Wednesday Sisters. I felt that because it is such a character-driven story, it was crucial to get the sisters right. Instead, I thought that the author simply brushed through them, that I didn't really get to know them or relate to them. In fact, when I finished reading it, I still didn't really have any idea who the Wednesday sisters really were.
Another book that was disappointing to me was The Carrie Diaries. I really wanted to love this one, being a fan of the Sex and The City series. Please read my review for this YA prequel to know exactly why I ended up giving it a 1 star rating.

Overall, June was a great reading month. There were more good reads than disappointing ones, so that's always good. I do have a feeling though that July will be even better because I have more free time now that it's officially Summer. Speaking of, what are some books that is in on your Summer-TBR-list? I might actually do an entirely separate post listing the books I plan to read. I am super excited for July! For now, this is my A Month of Reading in June recap. I hope you had an awesome month like I did -- reading-wise and generally. If you are going to do a June recap as well, or are planning to, please feel free to share the links to your posts. I'd love to hear all about them! That's it for me though. Talk to you all later!

4 comments:

  1. Omg. I only read two books, almost three last month. I feel so ashamed when I see so many people reading, like, 10 or more in a month. I need to read Perfect Chemistry, by the way.

    P.S.: Replied to your comment over my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10 books? Crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got Wake the other day. Great reading month, Jillian!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Raila: Oh I highly recommend Perfect Chemistry, especially when you mentioned on Twitter you were looking for a bit of romance in YA. It's definitely a drastic change from Rizzoli and Isles. Haha! :)

    @Kayla: Thanks, miss you kaykay :)

    @Julie P: Thank you! I'd love to hear what you thought about it. I thought it was alright.

    ReplyDelete