An Education: Movie Review

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

This review contains no spoilers.

An Education
tells the coming-of-age story of a teenage girl living in 1960s suburban London, and how her life changes with the arrival of a playboy nearly twice her age. The screenplay itself is written by Nick Hornby; author of High Fidelity, About A Boy, among many others. While I have to admit the story itself has been done many times before -- young girl falling in love and "awakened" by an older man -- this film brings something else to the table by offering superb acting, evocative 60's atmosphere, strong points of view, and brilliant writing.

What I loved about the movie is the main character, Jenny, and the actress that played her, Carey Mulligan. Both are beautiful and strong. But one of my favorite parts about An Education is the atmosphere; the fashion, the style, the culture, the fact that Paris plays a part in this, and the actual era itself. It is depicted so well, I can only wish to live in it! Everything about is just beautiful! That being said, it's truly the overall appeal and vibe of the film that made me fall in love.

Not to say that it doesn't have anything else to offer, because it certainly leaves us with strong and much-needed messages as well. What is education anyway and why is it so important? And when we say the word, "Education," do we mean it in a literal sense, or are we talking about the kind that expects people to grow and mature as human beings? The film asks these questions and leaves you figuring them out for yourself.

As far as recommendations go, truthfully, the film is probably not for everyone, but I still highly recommend you try it and see for yourself. The story is mediocre, but the acting is great. The overall mood is GORGEOUS, and the message is enlightening. Personally, I loved it.

I'm just going to go ahead and end this review with a quote from the movie itself; "The life I want, there is no shortcut." It's such a simple quote, yet that perhaps, might be, the biggest -- not to mention, the most difficult -- lesson of all.


11 comments:

  1. I loved this one too. If it had ended differently I would have been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks good. And I love that movie poster.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your movie reviews!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got this on my to-watch shelf right now - your review has definitely inspired me to watch it this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Avid Reader: I agree. *SPOILER!* I liked that she was able to let go of him in the end. Heartbroken yes, but at least she was able to act like a mature woman and accept the very fact. Some would just pretend that it's okay..

    @May: Oh I am in love with that movie poster too! I would dieeee to have a dress like that!

    @Katherine: Aw thank you :D I've been watching so many so there might be more coming, haha.

    @Girl Friday: Let me know what you think when you get to watch it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved the look of this film, the costumes, the lighting, paris - everything - but not the main guy. i felt he was charmless. i know what i was meant to feel but it just didn't happen. i loved the scenes with dominic cooper though. and her parents were fantastic, as well as miss cross (err, olivia williams will always be miss cross to me. "we both have dead people in our family" bahaha)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't like the main guy either. He was alright, but didn't stand out! I mean, at least use some handsome older man or something so the audience will actually "like" him too. And haha, Miss Cross is lovely in this film. Her parents were awesome, I agree. The end scene with the dad was touching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was also one of my favorite movies of last year. Loved Peter Saarsgard's performance - he's brilliant! So understatedly creepy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Greg: He was too creepy, most especially with the banana scene! I mean, who says that? LOL. Good thing though Jenny was naive, she was smart enough not to agree with everything he tells her to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this film, too! The clothing, locations and mood of the film were just spot on! And I thought that Saarsgard and Mulligan both did amazing jobs with their roles - they truly brought those characters to life! This has to be one of my top picks for movies - it was just such a good movie! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Nadia: I am in love with the clothing, location, and mood of the film! I want to live in it :) Haha. Yeah, both actors and their parents did an excellent job. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete