Book Recommendation of the Week

Friday, August 27, 2010

I decided to do this possible weekly feature here on the blog where I will basically recommend ONE specific book that I have read, and loved. It could be something I recently just read, or a one from five years ago. Doesn't matter when; if I feel as if a lot of people might like it as much as I do, then I'll recommend it! For the very first week, I recommend..

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly
Genre: Fantasy/Fiction
When I Read It: 2008
Synopsis: High in his attic bedroom, twelve-year-old David mourns the death of his mother, with only the books on his shelf for company. But those books have begun to whisper to him in the darkness. Angry and alone, he takes refuge in his imagination and soon finds that reality and fantasy have begun to meld. While his family falls apart around him, David is violently propelled into a world that is a strange reflection of his own -- populated by heroes and monsters and ruled by a faded king who keeps his secrets in a mysterious book, The Book of Lost Things.

Recommended if: you like stories about dark and strange things, and creepy fairy tale re-tellings. It's not for everyone for sure, but I think you should try it out and see if this is your kind of book. If it is, you might end up loving it as much as I do.

Ages: It says it's for children, but it has some rather disturbing characters and scenarios, and I can not imagine anyone younger than 13 reading it. So I think this is for 13+, mature YA readers, and adults.

Why I Loved It: It's a unique and original story; twisted and strange, creepy and mysterious. It is wonderfully written, beautifully told, with memorable and likable characters.

The author says: "If like me, you were formed by books, then you may see a little of yourself within its pages for, as the dedication states, just as in every child waits the adult that will be, so too in every adult lies the child that was."

Have you read this before? What did you think of it?





12 comments:

  1. I really liked this book! I read it a couple of years ago and it was super creative. Great rec!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of this before but it sounds really creepy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to get a hold of this book for a while now! I think I'll have to be sure to do so now! Thanks for the recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this book for ages but not gotten around to reading it for one reason or another but really must bump it up! I finished Therapy btw, and it was great! I would definitely recommend it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea Jillian! And I've heard a lot of really good things about this book. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo sounds like one I would enjoy :) Thanks for the recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the book now. But I have two books I need to read before it. Hope I get to read it before I have to return in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. +JMJ+

    It sounds fantastic! =D Thanks for recommending it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Jillian, glad you liked this one! I have it in my TBR.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man i saw this at my library the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How come this cover is read? Haha!! Mine is blue...=b Hey Jill, this one is on my TBR list, and I'm glad that there's someone who recommend this book. I'll read it soon!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved it! I haven't read any more of Connolly's writing, but this one was just fantastic. Definitely one for a re-read.

    ReplyDelete