Top Ten Picks: Fictional Places

Thursday, August 26, 2010


Here at Top Ten Picks, we've talked about literary characters, literary quotes, our favorite writers, our literary crushes.. why not talk about our favorite settings in literature? So for this week -- and I am extremely excited for this -- the topic is on ten fictional places that stand out to you in the world of literature. These are the wonderful settings that either made your jaw drop in awe or simply terrified you. Either they are good or not-so-pleasant places, they have inspired your imagination to take a journey somewhere you've never been. Here are my picks -- most are places I would love to visit and then some are just places I would HATE to find myself in -- in no particular order whatsoever.

....

The Ones I Want To Visit


1. Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
- It sure is a creepy place, and I don't know if I would want to spend more than a day in here, but it's a place full of chocolate-everything-goodness! Do I really need to explain more?


2. Rivendell
The Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien- There are so many distinct places in Middle-Earth, the world J.R.R. Tolkien created. They all sound magical and magnificent, but Rivendell has got to be the place I really want to go to. This place just sounds so peaceful. Everything about it simply exudes relaxation and harmony. And I do like how elves are portrayed in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.. I'd love to be surrounded by them!


3. Hogsmeade
Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling- "Hogsmeade looked like a Christmas card; the little thatched cottages and shops were all covered in a layer of crisp snow; there were holly wreaths on the doors and strings of enchanted candles hanging in the trees." I love Hogwarts. Really, I do. But just like Rivendell, I would like this to be the place to visit in the Harry Potter world. I mean, it's basically like having a field trip everyday. It's picturesque, and just a fun place to be. Did I mention this is the place to get butterbeer? I don't know about you, but something about that just intrigues me..


4. The Secret Garden
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett- I love this place so much I devoted an entire post on its settings. Read more here.


5. Fablehaven
Fablehaven by Brandon MullIt's a place built to preserve mythical creatures. I just love the idea of that! It's a world full of friendly fairies, imps, mermaids.. it's just a magical place! How could you not want to go? Now as long as I don't break the rules, I think I'll be okay.


6. Neverland
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie- Sometimes, we all get that feeling of not wanting to grow up. Well, in Neverland, you don't. You remain a kid forever. Now I don't know if I'd want to stay a kid forever, but it'd be a nice little break every once in a while. J.M. Barrie, the author, of Peter Pan also says that Neverland would resemble a map of a child's mind.. the possibilities of exciting and new adventures would be endless!


7. The Bookshop
The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald
- To say I love books and bookstores would the biggest understatement of the year. Regardless of how I feel about The Bookshop by Penelope Fitzgerald, I can honestly say the bookshop in the story has got to be one of my favorite fictional places. It's dreamy, as a room filled with shelves and shelves of books should be.


Places I Like But Would Never Want To Find Myself In

8. The Maze
The Maze Runner by James Dashner- Without giving anything away, there's a reason why the Gladers -- the people living there -- have such strict rules. There's also a reason why the Runners run frantically through the Maze during the day, and why there's a huge gate closing to keep them in away from the Maze itself at night. The Maze is a dangerous place to be.. I don't think anyone would want to be stuck in there..


9. The Forest
The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly - If you haven't read this book, I think you should. I highly recommend it for all ages. It is so good, in a very creepy, strange, and terrifying way. The forest is the main cause of the terror. I love how the author paints the place to his readers -- so creative and original! There are trolls, vengeful witches, wizards, among many other disturbing things. The forest in this novel is the complete opposite of a beautiful and enchanting land. This is like a fairy tale getting drunk and wasted and hungover in the morning.. a fairy tale hallucinating and going psycho.. you get the point ;)


10. the Arena
The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins- Have you read The Hunger Games? Whether or not you're a fan of the series like me, I think you'd still agree with me you would never, ever want to find yourself in the games itself. The number 1 rule of the game is: to survive. Kill others, and you get out the game. If you don't, then you get yourself killed. Yeah.. I don't know if there's a need to explain more.

....

If you would like to join in and make your own list, feel free to do so. And if you can't come up with 10, any amount is fine, as long as it's a list ;) All you have to do is:
1. Do a post, listing all your answers. Like I already mentioned, you do not have to include pictures, descriptions, or explanations, but if you would like to do so, feel free!
2. Please sign the Mr. Linky box below with the specific URL of your post.



Want more top ten lists? Check out this week's topic over at The Broke and The Bookish! Also, if you want more talk on fictional places and settings, check out Shredded Cheddar's meme, Locus Focus! Looking forward to hearing from you for this week!

15 comments:

  1. Rivendell is way too awesome and beautiful. I wanna meet an Elf Princess!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. +JMJ+

    Hey, Jillian! =D Well, it looks as if you put up a Top Ten Picks topic that I couldn't resist even if I tried! =P My list almost wrote itself!

    And thanks so much for plugging Locus Focus! =) I'm going to make my Fictional Places list a special Locus Focus/Top Ten Picks crossover post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh... cool list! I definitely agree with you on #4... and #9. *shudder* I would never want to end up in that forest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I don't know if I'd want to end up in that forest either. Really nice list this week. I loved the idea of Hogsmeade too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices! Rivendell's nice but I think I would pick Lothlorien from LOTR - and perhaps Mordor for a place I would NOT want to visit, lol. And yes to the Hunger Games (in the never-want-to-be-caught-dead-there way, of course.) Just finished reading Mockingjay!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would looove to be in Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory!! But anyways... I have chosen you to give the One Lovely Blog award!! You can get it here: http://thebooklopedia.blogspot.com/2010/08/our-first-award-from-3-very-awesome.html

    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cj - LOTR made elves look good to other people, and they're probably one of my favorite "creatures" in the mythical world because of it.

    E - Looking forward to your list. Top Ten Picks sure missed you!

    La Coccinelle - Haha, yeah.. just so creepy thinking about all the people he met.. :/

    May - Hogsmeade = Butterbeer = awesome!

    danya - I also like The Shire! :) I also finished Mockingjay, but will probably not write a review until next week or so when a lot more people are done with it.

    Cleo - Or any chocolate factory for that matter now that I think about it.. haha. Thanks for the award. Have a great weekend to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't decide if Wonka's chocolate factory would be heaven or torture! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda - Hahaha I think it'd be heaven first, and then torture after..

    ReplyDelete
  10. +JMJ+

    JILLIAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

    I have linked my post! =D I feel so . . . epic.

    Thanks for hosting. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have linked my post. All mystery-related...but have to agree with some of the picks that others have come up with too...Hundred Acre Wood, the star-gazing rock in L'Engle, and the castle in Narnia to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic topic Jillian! Rivendell and Hogsmeade will be on it :)
    My post will be up this coming week.

    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. E! Going to go check out your epic list now. ;)

    Bev Hankins - There are so many other places out there it's so hard to choose favorites!

    naida - Yay, see you then :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hogsmeade for sure!! Or maybe hogwarts itself....
    Anyway the HG stadium would be cool, though i wouldnt want to die. Lets hope for a virtual simulator of the hunger games, like a maze like area where u compete!!! >:D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list. Having recently read a biography of Daphne du Maurier, I would have to add Manderlay, the mansion where Rebecca is set.

    ReplyDelete