The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Genre: Young Adult - Dystopian/Post-Apocolyptic
Synopsis: Thomas wakes up in a strange lift, without any recollection whatsoever All her remembers is his first name. But he's not alone. When the lift's doors open, he finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade, a large expanse enclosed by stone walls.
Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning, for as long as they could remember, the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night, they’ve closed tight. Every thirty days a new boy is delivered in the lift. And no one wants to be stuck in the maze after dark. Everything should be running normal, but then a girl arrives in the lift -- the first girl ever to arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers. With this occasion, the Gladers realize that it’s looking more and more as if the maze is unsolvable. And something about the girl’s arrival is starting to make Thomas feel different. Something is telling him that he just might have some answers—if he can only find a way to retrieve the dark secrets locked within his own mind.


Rating: 5 stars

Review:
If you haven't read The Maze Runner yet, seriously, you need to get on it and read it! It's so good! If you are a fan of The Hunger Games series, you will most likely love this because it's just as good. It's as unique, original, and exciting. They're really very different from each other though, but one can not help but compare because both are about teenagers stuck somewhere, trying to survive -- either in a disturbing game or a mysterious maze. I absolutely love the HG series, but have to admit, The Maze Runner takes on a whole other level in the YA dystopian genre.

It's scary, exciting, and intriguing all at the same time. It has everything I would want in a book, plus more; a mixture of drama, adventure, action, and mystery, with a bit of romance, comedy, and even horror! This is just my kind of book. It's fast paced, unpredictable, and has a lot of unexpected twists and turns. They're not forced, or cliche. The writing just flows almost with no effort, and I simply could not -- and did not -- want to put it down. Seriously, if you haven't read this yet, go get a copy. Conveniently, the paperback version just came out last week I believe, so you really have no excuse now! 5 stars for this one. Highly recommended.

7 comments:

  1. This was going to be my 1st try with the Dystopian genre but I read Uglies. I can see why so many love it but its not really for me.

    I am 70% done with Hunger Games, I am impressed so far but still not really me.

    Great review of Maze Runner Jillian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Jillian, I'll definitely be getting a hold of this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marce - I personally didn't enjoy the Uglies series. In fact, I stopped right after the sequel and didn't even continue anymore. I just didn't like it very much. So glad to hear you at least tried it though! :)

    Karlinha - Thanks :)

    Kelly - Yay, would love to see your review for it too when you get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jillian, thanks for sharing this great book!! The story line sounds fantastic!! Haha..It's funny that the title is almost similar with The Kite Runner...but these two are totally different like earth and sky.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Jillian! just now getting on and checking all the reviews. I'm so glad you liked this one - yay! Haven't picked it up yet but it is awesome to know that you think so highly of it :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. cj'alhafiz - Haha, yes they're definitely different.

    Amelia - Glad you're finally getting my posts on your feed! I had such trouble figuring that out when it changed all of a sudden :/ But yeah, I think you'd like it!

    ReplyDelete