The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
On Sale: September 21, 2010
I recommend it to: 15+
Synopsis: Mackie Doyle seems like everyone else in the perfect little town of Gentry, but he is living with a fatal secret - he is a Replacement, left in the crib of a human baby sixteen years ago. Now the creatures under the hill want him back, and Mackie must decide where he really belongs and what he really wants. A month ago, Mackie might have told them to buzz off. But now, with a budding relationship with tough, wounded, beautiful Tate, Mackie has too much to lose. Will love finally make him worthy of the human world?

Rating: 3.5 stars

Review:
The Replacement is probably one of the most original books I've read in a while. Seriously, if you've read the synopsis for this one, have you ever heard anything like it? It's just unique and fresh, strange and dark. Maggie Stiefvater even says how she "loved this eerie and beautiful story of ugly things." That might be the perfect way to describe how I felt about it too. There's just none quite like it.

I do think though that the best thing about this novel is the author, Brenna Yovanoff, and her writing. Her words flow without effort, and never seemed contrived in any way whatsoever. The way she is able to write the perfect details about her characters, the settings, and the situations -- they just seem very poetic in nature.

However, I think that all those positive things that I mentioned that I liked about the novel, might also be the very reasons why someone else might not. Like I said, it's incredibly unique, and the strangeness -- or beauty -- of it all might not suit everyone. Personally, I enjoyed it. Is it a favorite of mine? Not really, but I still recommend it. Overall, it's a wonderfully written and original story about a likable and believable main protagonist, set in a very creepy but strangely beautiful town of Gentry.

6 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this for a while now. Thanks for the review. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh... I love the sound of it .. and I think my Not So Bebe Girl would love it too! Thanks for the review!

    Julie @ Knitting and Sundries

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds very interesting....Something different and out of know where. Just my kinda book

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to this book for a while, I love this cover but annoyingly the UK is completely different and nothing like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, I like the sound of this one.
    Thanks for the review! You've peaked my interest.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, I also think it's different than other books. Original. I love the cover also!! Thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower. Nice to know you. =)

    CJ @ Coffee N Crackers

    ReplyDelete