The Awakening by Kelley Armstrong

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Genre: Young Adult - Paranormal
Synopsis: No synopsis for this one as I don't want to give anything away for those who haven't read Book 1 yet. This is the sequel to a series.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Review: I read and reviewed the first book in the Darkest Powers trilogy, The Summoning, and gave it 3 stars. It did a great job introducing such a unique and fresh story line with very likable and believable characters, but I mentioned that it started off a bit slow for me. Still, I enjoyed reading it, so I picked up its sequel, The Awakening, from the library. I have to say, I am so happy I did so!

It is an exciting and promising series, and the sequel did a great job living up to that. The best part though, at least to me, was how it was able to show really flawless plot development and character growth. The writing is effortless, that it felt as if I was actually reading the actual main narrator's own thoughts. The narrator, Chloe Saunders, is the main character. I mentioned how I empathized very easily with her in the first one, and in this sequel, I love her even more. I just think she's a strong young adult female character, who can stand up for herself and her beliefs. It just makes me proud to read about someone who doesn't necessarily need saving from a cute boy all the time. (Although, of course, it doesn't hurt sometimes especially if the cute boy's name is Derek. Or Simon, perhaps? Ha ha) I like Derek's character because he's not at all cliche, stereotypical, or one dimensional. I mean, he's a bad boy yes, but it's clear that he's not stuck in that stereotype that we often see nowadays.

Without giving too much away and saying too much, I'll go ahead and just say that I do recommend that you read this book, especially if you are a reader and a fan of the YA/Paranormal genre. It's an exciting series, like I said, and it makes me happy that the sequel not only lived up to its predecessor, but even managed to exceed it. 4.5 stars for this one!

6 comments:

  1. I've enjoyed this series, too. I still need to read the third book, though.

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not read any of the trilogy yet but this is quite anticipated. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kinda getting tired of the whole bad boy character in young adult novels nowadays so this one sounds good. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  4. La Coccinelle - Yeah, I haven't read the 3rd yet but have a copy of it that I won from a contest. I'm a little excited :)

    Darlyn - Would love to know if you end up reading it.

    May - Well, he's still a bad boy character, but I liked the fact that he's not just stuck in that stereotype. He's that.. plus more, which makes him believable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice review! I've only read the first two books, really need to finish the series.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny - thank you! I have the last book waiting for me on my bookshelf and I'm excited to pick it up and read it! Did you like the first two books?

    ReplyDelete