Firelight by Sophie Jordan

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Genre: Young Adult
On Sale: September 7, 2010
Synopsis: With her rare ability to breathe fire, Jacinda is special even among the draki -- the descendants of dragons who can shift between human and dragon forms. But when Jacinda's rebelliousness leads her family to flee into the human world, she struggles to adapt, even as her draki spirit fades. The one thing that revives it is Will, whose family hunts her kind. Jacinda can't resist getting closer to him, even though she knows she's risking not only her life but the draki's most closely guarded secret.

Review:
Plot: 5 stars
I don't think I've ever read a book about dragons and drakis before -- not to mention humans turning into them. This was such a pleasant surprise, as I thought it was perfectly executed. It was intriguing and it kept me interested and curious the entire time. I wanted to learn more, and read more. It's just an addicting and a fresh new take on a topic not often explored.

Characters: 3.5 stars
Jacinda is believable as somebody struggling to choose between two difficult and different options. While I do have to admit, she's not exactly a favorite character of mine, I still liked her. I truly felt for her, and empathized with her throughout her entire journey in this book. On the other hand, it was Will, who I truly adored. It's nice to read about a multifaceted male protagonist who doesn't fall into the usual "bad boy" stereotype we've been seeing lately. He is character just seems genuinely realistic and believable -- and not a character that is at all cliche.

Cover: 5 stars
Have you seen the cover?? I mean, that alone will make me pick this book up even if I had no idea what it was about! It's gorgeous! A bit creepy, yes.. but definitely eye catching.

Overall: 4.5 stars!
I highly recommend this to those who read and love the YA/Paranormal genre. It is entertaining, new, unique, well-written, and just plain fun to read. I am very much looking forward to reading the sequel for this one. I can't wait to find out more and see what happens next!











7 comments:

  1. Great review! I've seen this floating around the blogosphere, but haven't really been interested in reading it until now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really not sure about reading this book. I haven't read a dragon book I've liked so far, so I'm hesitant to read this one, but I keep hearing great things about it. I do love the cover though, so I might just have to give in and give it a chance. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been pretty burned out on paranormal YA lately, but this one actually sounds pretty intriguing. I like the idea of dragons. Werewolves and vamps are getting tired. lol Love that cover, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragon/Draki series you might like to try also is by author Shana Abe, it is not however YA but definetly adult reading....

    I have Sophie's new YA on my to buy list ever since read the blurb a few weeks back, thanks for the nice non-spoilery review....

    jackie b ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am here from ds's blog. Your blog is very lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds SO good. I can't wait to try it. Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jess: Thanks! It was pretty interesting.

    @Adriana: I've never read a dragon book before, so this was completely new to me.

    @Andi: So do I.. I'm a bit worn out from vampires&werewolves too. This was a nice change.

    @Jackie b: Thanks for the recommendation! I read just about anything, so I'll look into that one.

    @Suko: Thank you, Suko :)

    @Juju: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete