Lovng Frank

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Loving Frank is a historical-based, fictional account of the life of Mamah Borthwick Cheney, more popularly known as the woman that destroyed Frank Lloyd Wright’s first marriage as well as her own. The plot sounds like it’s a romance book, doesn’t it?

It’s not. It is more about Cheney’s struggles as a woman in the 20th century, when there was still evident discrimination. Although educated, intelligent, and independent, she is forced to live a life she did not plan out, all for her love for Frank Lloyd Wright.

My summary of the book pretty much sucks, but I think that’s the best I could do for this one. The book’s story is broad, a little hard to summarize in a paragraph.

You may I ask if I liked it or not, and I have to say…

It wasn’t bad, but it’s one of those books that I could easily forget about. The story is fascinating and interesting as well as the characters. However, it wasn’t as if they were any special or they stuck to me at all. It was well written though, so that’s probably the best part. And mind you, this is the author’s debut novel, and that’s a big plus because the writing was really good. It wasn’t boring. It was a page-turner, and I like her prose.

It could have been a lot shorter though. There were many unnecessary events thrown in there that shouldn’t have been.

The thing is, this book is the kind of book that settles on a specific audience, I think. However, if you don’t like historical fiction or dealing with feminism and such, you most likely won’t enjoy this one

No comments:

Post a Comment