The Thirteenth Tale

Sunday, January 10, 2010

This is by far one of my favorite books of all time.

The Thirteenth Tale is a story about two women. One is a famous author who’s ill and whose life is soon coming to an end. Another is a young bookworm and bibliophile of a girl who lives a normal, simple life in her father’s book shop.

The famous author is notorious for giving false statements, made up stories, and lies to people who have interviewed her. But for some mysterious reason, she decides to write to the girl telling her that after many years of lies, she is now ready to tell the truth; the real story of her life, for the first time.

Diane Setterfield needs to write more because I’m going to keep buying all her books! They’re worth the money. Her writing is nothing less than exquisite. It has a gothic feel to it, reminiscent of Charlotte Bronte’s Jane Eyre.

This is the kind of book that I will definitely recommend again and again, most especially to lovers of great literature and profound writing.

The story is mysterious, addicting, unique, and exciting. There are many twists and turns; you have to keep reading. I found myself lost in the book by the first page until the end. It kept me trying to guess what was going on, as I kept thinking, that something was just off here. In the end, when it all tied up and the ending is revealed, I was pleasantly surprised. I did not see it coming. I don’t think anyone can. It was great.

If you enjoy a really good story with realistic, lovable characters, intricate descriptions, and events that will keep you guessing, try this one. You can not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment