Rebel Angels

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Being a fan of the first book, A Great and Terrible Beauty, I was quite ecstatic to read this one.

This sequel is still about Gemma Doyle and her friends, this time set during Christmas time in London. I won’t give anything away, not even a summary of the story.

We all know how sequels have the tendency to disappoint. Usually they fail to live up to its predecessor, but that is definitely not the case with this one. In fact, I found myself enjoying it more than the first one. I liked how the characters have evolved into different people. Their transitions are realistic, and despite the fact that this is a fantasy book, the events and situations happening are believable. It still had the same gothic, eerie feel to it, the same exciting pace, and excellent literary writing. What added was also the big plot and character twists.::Spoilers:: I just have to comment also that I thought one of the best parts of this sequel is Pippa’s character change. I found her creepy and disturbing, but still lovable at the same time. I find it sad though, knowing that she just won’t be the same again.

I can not wait to read the third and final book from this trilogy. I love this series. I will definitely recommend this to any young adult reader, or to anybody who enjoys fantasy books, no matter what the age.

No comments:

Post a Comment