My Sister's Keeper

Wednesday, January 13, 2010


I have always had mixed feelings about this one. And I have to admit, this is a bit harder to write a review for. I even have a hard time answering anyone who asks me if they should read this book or not. I usually can't give a straight answer right away.

I guess you could say my opinions go both ways. I liked it and did not like it at the same time. There were parts I loved, and others, I didn't so much. First, I'd like to say that My Sister's Keeper actually does have an interesting plot. And overall, it simply has a good story. It's inspiring, heartfelt, thought-provoking, and very believable. Backed up with memorable characters and the author's ability to make you empathize with them and their situations, I thought it was a good read.

**slight spoilers**

However, and this is a big however, I really wished Jodi Picoult stopped writing and finished the book about 20 pages before the actual ending. That was the one part I did not like at all, which goes back to a friend's question, "Should I read it?" And as bad as I may feel about it, I tell them not to.

It's not that it was bad. It was just very disappointing to have that kind of good build up in the plot and character development, and be let down in the end. So if you prefer a "happier" ending, please go see the movie instead.

**end spoilers**

Overall, I sort of liked the book, but was unfortunately, left feeling a bit disappointed.

And just to put it out there, I did like the movie better than the actual novel itself. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment