The Virgin Suicides

Sunday, January 10, 2010


For days, this book stuck with me.

About the Lisbon girls; sisters… who all, evidently, commit suicide at different times and in different ways. Different, like they are from each other. Why they did it, the readers wouldnt know until quite in the end. The story is narrated by one of the boys who grew up with the Lisbon girls, who adored them and have been captured by them. Obviously, or else they wouldn’t be watching them and talking about them long after their lives ended.

This book stuck with me long after I finished reading it that I went out of my way to actually rent the movie version of this on dvd. Yup, I wanted to see how it would compare to the original novel. I have to say, I liked the movie and thought the actors played the characters very well. But there was just something about this book….

It was a combination of both dark and light (as in weight, not brightness), appealing yet appalling all at the same time. Maybe it’s the author’s writing. Easy to understand, easy to get, easy to grasp, easy to relate to.

I have to admit in some few pages I was a little bored with it, but somehow by the end of every chapter, there’s always something new that brings me back to reading. So I keep reading.. and when I finished, I’ll say, it was something else.

Readdd it. Wattcch it. Whatever you want to do. Just know the story and know the Lisbon girls and know the boys that were obsessed with them, and hopefully you’ll see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment